AAPC - Back to school
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: How many gained employment with NO experience?

AAPC: Back to School
    I graduated High school in 86', went to a community college for 3-4 years & worked in a restaurant during same time. I was going to college for computer programing. My typing skills & shorthand skills were very good (60-80 wpm). In 89', a boyfriend's mother got me job with a Home Health Care group doing data entry/phones. Did that for about 2-2 1/2 years when they had a opening in another office for a biller. I said that I would be interested in doing this so I got transfered & trained. Been billing ever since. I bounced around to different specialties & learned alot. I did take a billing class just so it looked good on my resume. Now, after 20+ years, I work for a billing service & have 6 accounts that I am responsible for.

All you need is that first foot in the door.

St. Louis, MO

Thumbs up Good news

I am a coding and billing instructor, CPC and just completed the course to become a CPC-I. I sit for the exam in two weeks. That being said I have seen my share of new coders. The good news is what you are feeling is not unusual. Every single one of my students have sat in front of my desk about half way through the course and said they thought they were nuts for doing this. It is to hard. Then the corner is turned and they "Get it". Next step is the wall you hit finding a job. Think about this. Would you want to have your Surgeon to be brand new and you were his first patient in sole practice? What would he do to sell you on the idea that he is the one to do your surgery and not Dr. Greybeard. There are positive things to being new and eager to learn. You are on top of the latest coding issues. You have proven you are quick learner because you just put yourself through a vigerous course and passed the CPC exam. MARKET YOURSELF!
    In the past I had five students who completed the course at the same time. One had a baby and decided to wait to get a job, one went on to continue her education, and two got jobs in a hospital coding for the clinics when I told them the should not be discouraged if they didn't get the job. They did it anyway and got the jobs!!!! They are not even certified yet. When they pass the CPC exam they get a raise.
    Alicia, CPC

Default gettin my foot in the door

Hi Alicia,

I just completed my online medical coding course a few days ago but haven't taken the CPC exam yet. I have no experience whatsoever in this line of work. I've been employed in the mortgage industry for 10 years. Since i'm done with my online course what are the chances that a general practice or hospital will hire me without any experience other than what I learned online? the sunday ads and what I looked at on Career Builder want at least 3 or 4 years experience in the field.

I read all the previous post and feel encouraged. I'm just afraid I will begin to forget what I learned and if I do find something I wont remember much.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamShoop View Post
    As I have been reading over these forums, I have noticed alot of discouragement coming in from those not being able to find work having no experience. Though I do feel for them, I wanted to also start a thread that might give hope to those people who have no experience and are looking for a job.

I'm wondering, how many people actually found work as a "Medical Coder, Medical Biller" without having ANY experience in said field? If you have, please share, and I believe it will encourage everyone currently looking.

Personally, I have not graduated with a CPC or anything yet. I did however call a hospital around my area (mid missouri) and she said she was willing to hire CPC-A's with no problem. She said of course, she would test the applicant, and that was that.

Thank you.
    I am a recently certified CPC-A and am located mid-missouri. I was wondering who (what hospital) you talked to. Please email me at phillipvillemure@live.com.

I have applied at numberous hospitals in the area for coding positions.

Thank you

St. Louis West

I am loving all the stories on this thread!!! Good job all you hard working people. Keep sharing your successes! We all need encouragement but especially our soon to be and current CPC-A's!!! Go Get um!!!!
    [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Barbara Fontaine, CPC
    2011-2015 AAPCCA [B]Past Board of Directors Chair

COLOR="Blue"]Assume Positive Intent...Be Kind!

Past President St. Louis West Chapter

email: bfontaine@signaturehealth.net

Thank you, everyone, for the words of encouragement. I am a career changer with 3 credentials under my belt....but no healthcare experience. I, too, am searching to get my foot in the door in this industry. I wish everyone who is in my shoes the best of luck. We will find something soon! WE WILL!

Default No medical field experience

I had absolutely no medical field experience at all and took on-line classes in Advanced Medical Terminology and Medical Coding. I passed the CPC on my first try and then started looking for a way in to the field. I got an Xtern position and less than 3 months later, they hired me based on my Xtern reviews. (I was the first coder they had hired in 3 years, so I figure they had many experienced coders apply.) Oh and this was after I turned 50. So DO NOT get discouraged. It is all about getting your foot in the door and showing what you can do.

New Haven, CT

Default I'm in the same boat...

I have been in medical collections for 8 years. I have my CPC-A. I know a lot about how billing in hospitals work. I have a BA in Communication. I have a certificate in medical billing and coding.

I just wonder how my 8 years isn't experience? I have interviewed with many people. I need some advice. What was I doing wrong? When I was tested for a coding position I was not allowed to look in either a CPT or an ICD-9 manual. We did that for the exam, why wouldn't a CPC-A, (which is seen as a novice, correct?) be able to look at the manuals they passed the exam with? I know I don't have a photographic memory, therefore I wouldn't know the exact code for the exact procedure/diagnosis, if I wasn't coding on a daily basis. (Which I'm not, unfortunately.)

Meegan Sweeney, CPC-A

I worked for UHC as a claims processor for the past 4 years. At the same time, I went to a community college to obtain my medical billing and coding certificate. I just finished up all my classes in may 2011 and sat for the cpc exam on may 14; passed it on first try thank God. I interviewed with 3 companies in a two week span. One company wants me to meet their physians for a coding analyst position and another made me an offer to be their inpatient physician coder; the other company they selected someone else since they figured they'd have to offer me more for their coding analyst position. I never thought i'd find a job so quickly especially since I have no actual billing and coding experience. I was just trying to get my foot in the door and get any medical position available to show my work ethic and work my way up. But now I have the chance to get some valuable coding experience even though i'll have to travel 40 miles, i'm willing to. I agree with many of the posters' here, keep the faith and market yourself. Show them what you know about the field and why they want you. Sell yourself to them as if you were selling a product.

Default Audit/review

I Was able to get a job in a small family practice by offering to review their billing for specific types of patient visits. This then progressd to investigating why reimbursements for specific types of patient visits varied over the past 12 to 24 months. This lead to developing policies for improved or consistent billing practices.

In short, most practices have coders already. However, very few offices have oversite or rewiew of their coding practices. As such, offer them what they dont have, information about how their coders are doing. You dont have to step on any toes. Let the coders do their work. The last thing a busy coder wants to go is go thru 24 months of records to look for trends. In most cases you get to prove how good a job they are doing and gain from their experience.

Anyway, that is how i got in the door.

Note: I started by reviewing their billing practices based on frequency of specific types of office visits and reimbursement results, not for accuracy of coding practices. My findings started discussions regarding how to ensure standard coding practices. These discussions lead to investigating insurance policies, clarifying coding practices, and staff education. Just want to be clear, i didnt start out auditing coders. I started out summarizing what they coded and the results of their coding.
    Last edited by jackson7591; 07-04-2011 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Accuracy