AAPC - Back to school
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: How many gained employment with NO experience?

Default just starting out

AAPC: Back to School
    Thanks for starting this thread. I just completed 8 months of school in medical billing and coding and now studying for the exam. I too am a little frustrated that you need 2 or 3 years exp. But that being said I will go out and apply to every job out there. Thanks and I will keep you posted if I get anything......

Default Current student.

Is it really possible to get a job after school, with no experience? I am a little nervous, I have never done anything like this, and have no office experience, ut willing to do something i feel a lot of passion for. Jus the underlyig factor is I have no experience.

I graduated as an RHIT with zero experience. I took a job as an unofficial PA in a podiatry clinic in a very small town to get my foot in the door (no pun intended).

While cleaning feet in a rural community so toenails could be cut was NOT what I thought I would be doing, it did get me the physician reference I needed, as a "willing to learn person", for the local small hospital (who really was not hiring but when I applied with "willing to work any hours", they took me on as a very part time vacations/nights/weekends ER coder).

While that podiatry job was not ideal, it was what it took to get a job in the field. Fourteen years later I am experienced coder in multiple specialties and work for multiple physicians.

The experience one gains from working in the office with other coders can not be measured. There are a lot of things to learn that while in a "perfect" education world you are to code, what really can be billed in the "real" world is an education unto itself.

With the best of luck wishes~

Thanks so much for the inspiration. We have done the training and paid for it. We keep studing and that is endless. If you thought that you could memorize some words and numbers and get a job it's on the next train coming up. Hey we just gotta jump out of nest, hold our nose and go for it. For us who really put the work into it where is there left to go except up!!
    Thanks for your insights.

San Diego, California

did anyone find a job by volunteering at a hospital?
    my future is so bright, I hafta wear

Default volunteering as a coder

I created an coding internship at my local hospital as a volunteer. I worked data entry in the coding department for three months. After my certification (CPC-A, CPC-H-A), they hired me as an associate and put me in the basement as a file clerk. After eight months by myself filing patient charts, the department manager advised me that if I TRULY wanted to be a coder, my future lay elsewhere. So I left.

I wanted to share my story with all the CPC-A's that are looking for a job. I became a certified in September 2010. I was so excited about passing my test and I was ready to hit the workforce running. I won't lie...it's very hard to find a job. But with hard work, determination, and support from friend and family...something comes up when you aren't looking for it. This past April, I applied for a registration receptionist job at a local hospital and received the job. I worked there for three months and was let go due to the fact that I wasn't a good fit for the company. So there I was with no job. For over a month, I was applying for any and every job that was in the medical field with no response. Several weeks ago I found a job ad for a coding job at another hospital. I went ahead and applied (even though I only had 3 months of actual coding experience). A week later I received a phone call to schedule an interview for the coding position. I was very humbled for the opportunity to go in for an interview for a job that I'm very passionate about. The interview went well. However, there was a 2 hour coding exam that I had to complete. The test was very difficult but I was happy to step up to the challenge and do the best I could. About a week ago, I got the call everyone wants to receive. I was offered the coding job. I feel very blessed that I was chosen for this position but at the same time I thought about all the other people who applied for this same position. I guess the moral of my story is to not give up hope. There are jobs out there. We just have to put a bit more effort and really look. I know the AAPC has a website that has job openings which was helpful to me when I was looking for a job. Continue to educate yourself. Just because you received your CPC doesn't mind you stop there. The medical field is growing more and more everyday and things are always changing...even ICD-9 will be a thing of the past beginning Oct. 2013. I wish all of you who are looking for that coding job the best of luck.

God Bless,
    Deidre Hann, CPC-A

You were lucky

Me either

St. Louis, MO

Default So many options

I had thought about coding fifteen years ago when I worked in the medical records department of a small hosptial. My office was right next to the coders. They were a great group and loved what they did. Life happened and fast forward to a move from Missouri to Texas. I started working with a Home Health Agency as a scheduler. I hated it and got transfered into the auditing department. That was much better. Soon I was coding. I decided it was time for me to take the leap and go back to school. One of the local colleges had a Medical Billing and Coding program so I worked during the day and went to night school. I tested out of some of the classes which helped. I didn't find a coding position and was layed off at the HHA when they changed hands. Checking back at the college I spoke with the administrator and he offered me a position teaching. Honestly, I don't have the most experience as a coder but I do love to teach. I decided I would make sure that my students knew not only how to code but how to market themselves in todays workforce. The students teach me so much. Their questions have added to my knowledge of coding guidelines.

If you aren't finding a coding job think outside the box and think of all the different places that need a coder.
    Alicia Scott, CPC, CPC-I, CRC
    Educational Director, CCO.us,
    Have a Passion for Coding