06-09-2017, 02:21 AM | Community Wiki

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

How many gained employment with NO experience?

Medical Coding Books
    I started out in a Medical Billing and Coding course, while in school I applied for a billing position at a pediatrics and got it. I had no previous medical experience to speak of and was only in school for 3 months when I applied. I sat for my CPC 6 months later and attained my CPC-A.

It doesn't always happen like that tho. Most of my peers in school waited a year before they were able to land a position and some gave up after much time. But there are many success stories out there. You just have to have the determination to get what you want. It's a saturated field at the moment... it's going to take time. My recommendation, start now. Even if you're still in school, start looking for a position. Doesn't matter what it is as long as its medical. It's never too soon. If you need to complete an in/externship start there, do not rely on your school to get you one.

2. Default Expierenced Biller that wants to turn Coder
    I've had 11 years billing experience but want to get into coding. I just passed my test and beginning the search. I started billing with no experience but want to move to another city to advance my career into coding. I'm burned out from billing and don't want to do it anymore. It is very discouraging to see all this 3 years of experience required. Doesn't my experience in billing count for anything?

3. Default Finding a Job without Experience
    I completed coding classes at a local community college back in 2003. I was fortunate in the fact that I was selected from my class to participate in an internship at a major local hospital. Upon completion, I was offered a job there and had another offer from a Medical Billing Company. I opted for the Medical Billng Company and worked there for 5 years. I was again made an offer from the hospital and accepted. I was at the hospital for almost 3 years and worked from home. After my son left for college, working at home wasn't as appealing to me any longer and I opted to return to my previous place of employment. I am currently researching denial and assisting fellow coders. I absolutely LOVE my job. So, technically I didn't have any REAL experience other than school and about a month as an intern. There are jobs out there. I am receiving email alerts from "Simply Hired Alerts" and I often see coding jobs available.

Good luck to all of you who are searching.

4. Default Same Boat Recent Grad getting ready for CPC exam with no experience
    I appreciate the encouragement as well. I just graduated about a week ago and intend to sit for my CPC exam in December I am looking for a job now and so many want experience and at least the certification and don't seem wiling to give someone a chance with no experience. But I am fortunate to be in a city that is very healthcare oriented and there are a lot of dr's practices here too. It is good to know that hiring does happen without the experience I just have to stay persistant

5. Default Just a bump!
    The last post from this thread was in September 2011. I'm hoping this bump will succeed in more responses to this inquiry.

As an instructor I assist my students with placement. Our current placement rate is 88%, and we are very pleased with that. You have to be willing to take an entry level position, and then work very hard to prove/improve yourself. I can't say enough how important it is to not underestimate the soft skills that get you noticed like: dressing professionally, maintaining a high level of professionalism at work, having a very positive attitude, and being willing to assist anyone at any time, in any way!

As an instructor I assist my students with placement. Our current placement rate is 88%, and we are very pleased with that. You have to be willing to take an entry level position, and then work very hard to prove/improve yourself. I can't say enough how important it is to not underestimate the soft skills that get you noticed like: dressing professionally, maintaining a high level of professionalism at work, having a very positive attitude, and being willing to assist anyone at any time, in any way!

Lashel Church, CPC, CPC-I, CEMC

8. Default
    I too am nervous. I went to a local community college about 4 years ago and got my medical/billing coding certificate along with my Medical Office administration certificate. I had a baby right after that and never went after the CPC. Since then, I have been with a health insurance compnay for over 4 years. I deal with CPT's, ICD-9 and HCPC all day long. The pay is "decent" which is why I am scared to take an entry level position or un-paid externship. I need a full time job to pay the bills and daycare. I sit for the CPC exam on 8/25. Hopefully, I will pass the first time around. After that, I will be hoping and praying that I am still able to find a coding postion and not have to take a huge paycut so I am still able to stay ahead......We will see!

9. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by genjer712 View Post
    I too am nervous. I went to a local community college about 4 years ago and got my medical/billing coding certificate along with my Medical Office administration certificate. I had a baby right after that and never went after the CPC. Since then, I have been with a health insurance compnay for over 4 years. I deal with CPT's, ICD-9 and HCPC all day long. The pay is "decent" which is why I am scared to take an entry level position or un-paid externship. I need a full time job to pay the bills and daycare. I sit for the CPC exam on 8/25. Hopefully, I will pass the first time around. After that, I will be hoping and praying that I am still able to find a coding postion and not have to take a huge paycut so I am still able to stay ahead......We will see!
    Genjer, good luck with the test...I'm certain that you will pass. What have you been doing with the health insurance company? I think that because of your exposure, I don't think that you, specifically, would need to start at the bottom...get involved with your local chapter and see if you can get a mentor that will help you put your resume in the best possible light. The knowledge that you have received being on the payor's side could be very valuable to any future provider.

Kris

10. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Lashel View Post

Lashel Church, CPC, CPC-I, CEMC
    Lashel, your students are very lucky for your involvement. I also think you are spot on with your comments on the "soft skills" needed to succeed. I start a MBC course in August and hope I am lucky enough to have an instructor such as yourself! One that cares for the success of their students.

Kris