06-09-2017, 02:21 AM | Community Wiki

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

How many gained employment with NO experience?

Medical Coding Books
    Hi Adam,
    I have to say I like your post and giving credit where credit is due. I went to school through an online course and graduated in Aug 2010 and was working as a coder/auditor by Oct 2010. I am working for the same company I did my internship at. It is only by the grace of God that I have the job I do.
    It can be done!!!!!! Keep the Faith!!!
    Thanks, Dave

2. Default
    Thanks Kris for your confidence! It is greatly appreciated. I work in customer service. I am dedicated to only one account-(this account is the largest account for our company), so we handle all questions pertaining to medical, dental, vision, life, etc. it is like a one-stop-shop for our customers! Not a bad job, but I am ready to move on to something else where I will feel satisfied. I too feel as if my experiene will be a "plus" when posting for jobs and I am hoping that I do not have to start at the bottom. But-like many people... if it has to be done, then that is the way it is. I will defintely start looking to getting in the meetings in my local chapter and hopefully that will help boost my self-confidence about my future!!

Gena

3. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by genjer712 View Post
    Thanks Kris for your confidence! It is greatly appreciated. I work in customer service. I am dedicated to only one account-(this account is the largest account for our company), so we handle all questions pertaining to medical, dental, vision, life, etc. it is like a one-stop-shop for our customers! Not a bad job, but I am ready to move on to something else where I will feel satisfied. I too feel as if my experiene will be a "plus" when posting for jobs and I am hoping that I do not have to start at the bottom. But-like many people... if it has to be done, then that is the way it is. I will defintely start looking to getting in the meetings in my local chapter and hopefully that will help boost my self-confidence about my future!!

Gena
    Hi Gena, even if you have to start at an entry position, I can't see you staying there long. I actually see a lot of pros at starting in the front office and working you way inside. Even though I have a good foundation in the sciences (anatomy, pathophysiology, etc), I think that what you can bring to coding is so much more than if you just start right at coding. I think you need to know the "why" as much as you need to know the "how."

What part of the US are you? I'm in rainy/windy Florida...getting way tired of TS Debby!

Kris

I got a job in Medical Billing Co. as a Data Coordinator 3 months ago. I am still looking for a coding position. Hopefully someday my prayers will be heard. There is a job somewhere we have to be at the right place at the right time.
    Thanks,

Jyoti Vora CPC-A,CPMA
    Past Secretary at Seacoast-Dover New Hampshire Chapter - 2012

I got a job as a biller with a third party billing company two months after passing the exam. I now bill for a large hospital system. I passed my exam in 2010. I am glad I got coding AND billing education because it seems to be easier to get a billing job than a coding job.

i worked in the front office of our radiology department in our hospital and while i was going to school for coding i was offered the IR coding job. the hospital paid for all of my IR training and i passed the CIRCC exam 8 months after my training was complete. i have been their IR coder for 4 years now. right place at the right time!

7. Default
    I want to let you all know that these posts are very encouraging...I worked in a Medical office for 14 years doing everything but the billing. That job has currently "run its course" and I find myself in school full time taking the Billing and Coding course (to beef up my resume). I plan on taking the CPC this December (and WILL pass it on the first try!) One of my instructors also said it is worth it to apply to those positions looking for experience. I am going to give it my best shot! I am very hopeful after reading all these positive posts. Thanks to all.

Default Worked up to my position
    I started right out of highschool in 1996 working a 10:00-7:00 shift at minimum wage as the evening cashier/receptionist for a family practice group and that gradually evolved into posting charges and patient payments. One and half years later I moved into a day time cashier position which included posting/coding of additional charges, from there management offered me a full time coding position.

In 2003 I discovered the existence of coding certification and approached the office manager, the company was on board and paid for a week long bootcamp and my certification testing. We have continued to grow over the years due to our partnership with our local hospital to include, ortho, gynecology, general surgery, and outreach clinics for rheumatology, dermatology, and pulmonology and all coding and billing is done through our original billing department. I am currently the billing supervisor as well as the primary coder for all speciatly clinics.

My personal experience has been that hard work and drive to succeed pay off. Through our practice growth I have been given an opportunity to expand my knowledge and I continue to be challenged by new coding experiences.

Thanks so much for all the encouraging posts. I just graduated college this month and I was kind of discouraged about finding a job in the medical coding and billing field because every time I look a job posting they want people with experience. I have no experience at all and I take my CPC exam in December. A lot people have told me to just start handing my resume out to doctor offices and different places so I can get my foot in the door. I have faith and I pray that someone will call me to give me a chance. They have to realize they people with no experience has to start somewhere to get experience.

10. Default
    Hi, I have recently completed a CPC course. It's difficult to find anything here in VA beach, Norfolk and Chesapeake. Have you had any luck yet?