06-09-2017, 02:21 AM | Community Wiki

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

How many gained employment with NO experience?

Medical Coding Books
    I started working in the ER doing registration while finishing my coding courses. I was constantly e-mailing the coding dept. asking about coding advice and also talking to the HR dept. letting them know I was interested in a career with the hospital doing coding. When a coding position opened up, I was offered a interview and I ended up with the position. Make yourself known and people will remember you.

Goodluck,
    Devin Major, CPC
    Texas Surgical Associates
    Cardiovascular Coder
    7155 Old Katy Road
    Suite N100
    Houston, TX 77024
    Direct: (713) 668-6828 ext: 2365

I had no medical office experience and took my classes thru a votech program. I kept applying to anything in a 2 hour radius. Finally landed a job at a smaller hospital as a full time coder 1. Determination and flexibility were very important for me on my journey. I was a waitress and in less than 2 years I am CPC certified and employed in my chosen profession. Most college graduates cant say that!

I became a coder with no experience and no certifications.

I was sent by my "temp" agency to fill in some summer hours at a local hospital - doing filing for the medical records department. They were pleased with me and offered a full time job as a Medical Records Tech. I'd been doing that for a year or so when the coding manager asked me if I'd be interested in training to code outpatient charts. Within six months, I was a Coder I, auditing the work of an outside contractor who was doing the ERs. A few more months, and I was coding them myself as I was more accurate than the contractor. Two years later I got my CPC and became a Coder II. Same year, I took and passed the CEDC. Two years after that, I took and passed the CPMA.

The initial full time job offer was because I was fast and accurate at filing, general office work, and computers. The coding offer came about because I also had Medical Terminology and some billing experience from a chiropractic office (also a temp job).

Previous to coming here as a temp, I had never worked in a Hospital and my only "medical office" experience was a 2 month assignment at the front desk of a chiropractic office. I had just been laid off from a purchasing job in a manufacturing plant...

4. Default
    I got hired on after graduating (billing/coding program) at a doctors office in billing. I was certified through a company which no one really recongnizes straight from graduating (which was much similar to the CPC exam but not as difficult) ... My externship site wasn't hiring at the time but really liked that I picked up quickly with no experience and kept my information if they had an opening. I worked for 6 months at the doctors office and my externship site (large mutli specialty billing company) called me and offered me a position in collections/appeals! I worked there for 3 years until I received an offer closer to home at small billing comany which is where I am now working insurance collections/appeals (over 2 years). I just took my CPC (6/22) as I stated before no one accepts the coding certification I curently have. I asked my current employer if I took the CPC would they allow me to work with the current coder to remove the "A" and they said yes! I probably would not have taken the CPC exam if they would have said no Still waiting for results ... It seems really hard to get in as a coder without being in the medical field already. Wishing everyone the best of luck !!!

I started off in 1990 as a nursing assistant in training at a local nursing home, dud that for a few months then transferred to the receptionist position in the same facility. This was a 7 day in 7 day off position. One of the gals in the Business Office went out on maternity leave, I was asked if I wanted to pick up some more hours and help that dept out. Being a 19 yr old I said sure, because I like to buy clothes and shoes!

I never intended on getting ino this field, I fell into it and just worked my way up, I even took a break from the medical field in 1993 to be a Boat and RV loan processor, I decided I missed the medical field and got back into it as a medical biller for a large IM practice, that was where I really learned billing. We had an intern who told me about AAPC, I checked out their website in 2004, took the ISP independent study program and passed the CPC exam.

It wasn't until 2010 that I actually got a shot at utilizing my coding skills when I was hired by University of MD in the compliance dept to code E/M encounters.

Now I'm the supervisor of the coding and compliance dept at a very large hospital system! It took me 5 yrs after being certified to be a true coder in the sense of doing the work and I'm thrilled at how my career has evolved, you really do have to be patient and keep plugging away....
    Roxanne Thames CPC, CPC-I, CEMC
    rthamescpci@gmail.com

"Remember the greatest gift is not found in the store but in the heart of true friends"

Default Being older..
    Not sure if I am too old to pursue coding (57). Have worked in the healthcare field for decades and just got my coding certification 2 yrs ago. I see how many employers want experience and I get a little discouraged. I am a narrative coder at a local hospital-based lab and now the lab part is getting sold, so I will be out of a job. But the new buyer will need new people and I am the only certified coder. Still want to get a real coding job. All kinds of people are telling they see internal coding positions available in the hospital and tell me to apply. I feel like I don't have the experience. I need to brush up on my A & P for ICD 10 also. Will anyone take me on? I think at this point I should take a CPT coding class to get more exposure and experience. I passed my CPC-H without having any real experience. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!!

Default no experience when hired
    When I started out in the medical billing field 13 years ago, I had no experience at all. My previous job was at a fast food restaurant. I was able to get my foot in the door by accepting a part-time temporary job doing sorting and data entry while someone was out on pregnancy leave. My boss was impressed by my work and hired me on full time. After that I just worked really hard and whenever someone would leave I would ask to be considered for a promotion. I began coding after working for my employer for five years. My employer then paid for me to test for the CPC. I obtained the CPC with flying colors and am now our lead coder. If you are looking for a job in the medical field, my suggestion is to take whatever job you can in the field just to get your foot in the door. Employers will train and promote within the office first and then as a last resort hire outside the company. I have heard a lot of people obtaining the CPC-A and expecting to get a job coding which is extremely hard. There are many different aspects to working in billing and I think starting from the bottom and learning the ins and outs first before coding will make you a better coder in the long run.

8. Default Cpc-a
    I passed the CPC exam in May of 2011. Shortly after, I began to apply for coding jobs in the area but had no luck. I ended up taking a Health Tech job @ the local hospital. When they had a coding job open I applied and received an interview but was not offered the job. A few months after being turned down, a coding position at a different facility became available and I applied. Of course, knowing that I had no experience I wasnt expecting much out of it but after a three step interview process I was offered the job. There are places out there willing to take chances on people who have little to no experience. I had applied at this same place three times before and never got as much as a phone call! Don't give up or get discouraged. It took me two years but it was well worth it! Keep your certification current and keep plugging away!
    Last edited by eforshey; 08-13-2013 at 04:09 PM.

I started out in recruiting many years ago and did not return to school until 2009. I got my Associates in Health Information Technology, I went full-time until I was finished. Unfortunately I wasn't able to be hired on by the places that I did my internship. Fortunately I found my first position at a surgical center doing radiololgy coding. After that I was hired by a doctor's office doing office visits and surgeries. Now I am working for a billing company doing coding for radiology, labs and pain management.
    Jenny,CPC, COC
    Remote Coder

I graduated in January 2011 with a CPC-A. I didn't think getting a job as a coder would be hard..well I was wrong. I was working for a medical collection company and when I had to renew my certificate I was mad that I was paying for something that I would be using. I went to the local hospital web site and there was a coder job posted. I put in for it. On my interview I told them that I had no experience but was a quick learner and that I just needed someone to open the door and let me in. I also told them that I was frustrated because I took 2 yrs of college, passed my certification and no one would give me a chance. Well the next day I got a call and she hired me I code ancillary for the hospital for over a year and a half and my supervisor sees that I want to learn more so she has started me coding ER and wound care. I am very excited to learn more and thankful that she gave me the chance and opened the door.