AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Delayed closure help!

Charm City

Default Delayed closure help!

AAPC: Back to School
    I have a podiatrist who is doing a delayed primary closure of a foot ulceration and an akle ulceration. I am not sure what codes to use for these. The op note reads as follows:

"The foot ulceration medially was then debrided with a sharp 15 blade, rongeur, curet and then a delayed primary closure was performed after pulse lavage with 3 liters normal sterile saline with #1 PDS suture without difficulty" and the ankle one states:

"A right lateral ankle ulceration was debrided with a sharp 15 blade, rongeur and curet and pluse lavage with 3 liters of normal sterile saline and closed with #1 PDS suture in a palm-sole stitch fashion without difficulty."

He also puts a wound VAC and debrided a right ankle wound posterior. Also closed with #1 PDS suture proximally but the distal aspect of the posterior ankle ulceration was then wound VAC'd closed with 125 mmHg continuous without difficulty

I am not sure what a #1 PDS suture is. Is this a simple, intermediate or a complex type of closure?

Can anyone help direct me to the correct set of codes to use for this procedure?

Thank you!

Duluth, MN

You need to use the V58.41 icd-9 code for planned post op wound closure and then you would use the CPT code 13160 secondary closure of surgical wound or dehiscence extensive or complicated. I would think anyway.
    Tina Wosmek CPC, COSC

The repair (closure) codes are based on how many layers had to be closed, muscle, subcutaneous tissue , skin, etc.....

The cpt gives definitions of each type at the beginning of your repair code set.(my book does)

Your physician should be dictating how many layers were closed IF it was a layered closure. If it was not a layered closure - then it was simple.

Charm City

Thank you for your responses. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out! I will speak to the physician sometime today to get some clarification as to whether this was a layered closure or simple.