AAPC - Back to school

Thread: still learning

Richmond Virginia

Question still learning

AAPC: Back to School
    What ICD is appropriate for a CXR reason for the study is "Post Bronchoscopy R/O Pnemothorax"
    Findings are negative for pnemothorax...we cant code R/O.
    Is there a "V" code??

THX in Adnance!

I would query for a correction for a more definite diagnosis, citing 'rule out pneumothorax' is not able to be coded.

As per coding guidelines no need to code ''Ruleout coditions''....

Nalini CPC

what are the symptoms post bronch? cough? sob?

Stuart, Florida

I'm guessing that there was on abnormal finding on the bronchoscopy..? Is that documented? If it is, you can use V81.4, special screening for other and unspecified respiratory conditions, along with the code for abnormal findings on examination of the lung field. I believe the code is 793.1. If there is no documented abnormal finding from the bronchoscopy, did the doctor note his reason for wanting the cxr? When there is no definitive diagnosis, you can use the signs and symptoms.

Hope this helps.
    Vanessa Mier, CPC

Richmond Virginia

thanks for your help guys. It was an In PT with Pleural effusion. Which leads me to my next question. Can I use PT history to code such a report? If the Doc doesnt mention any findings on a report with a "R/O" listed ( i know we cant code that) Is it okay to code from the PTs medical record for that hospital stay ...ex. previous day reports?

Red face

I would put V72.5 for routine chest x-ray, NEC. hope this helped.

how abt v71.89?