Results 1 to 7 of 7

CCR/admit from ER (POS question)

  1. #1
    Default CCR/admit from ER (POS question)
    Medical Coding Books
    I am totally at a loss here. POS is documented in CPT but not alot of guidelines really. Are these possibly carrier requirements more than CPT requirements?

    We are multispecialty. The pt has CCR services rendered in the ER by the ER doctor then is admitted by another physican (in our multispecialty group) to the hospital. What POS do I bill the CCR charges for? We are billing 23 because that's where services were rendered and they saw our ER provider. However, several carriers are denying these charges because pt was admitted. They want POS 21.... Thoughts? References?

  2. #2
    Default response to CCR/admit from ER (POS question)
    admit = 21
    eventhough the patient was seen in the ER, the ER visit is bundled into the hosptial stay

    Quote Originally Posted by spirving View Post
    I am totally at a loss here. POS is documented in CPT but not alot of guidelines really. Are these possibly carrier requirements more than CPT requirements?

    We are multispecialty. The pt has CCR services rendered in the ER by the ER doctor then is admitted by another physican (in our multispecialty group) to the hospital. What POS do I bill the CCR charges for? We are billing 23 because that's where services were rendered and they saw our ER provider. However, several carriers are denying these charges because pt was admitted. They want POS 21.... Thoughts? References?
    Rachele Porter, AS, CPC, CPC-H, CEDC
    no weapons formed against me shall prosper

  3. #3
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by racheleporter View Post
    admit = 21
    eventhough the patient was seen in the ER, the ER visit is bundled into the hosptial stay
    That's true when they're the same specialty group. However, this is a physician who is board certified and credentialled as an ER doc vs being admitted to a physician credentialled as an Endocrinologist. In this case, the ER docs charges are not wrapped into the Endocrinologists charges. Or at least that is my understanding. Am I wrong?

  4. #4
    Default
    yes you are wrong...any visit resulting in an admission is bundled into the admission and the POS is 21

    Quote Originally Posted by spirving View Post
    That's true when they're the same specialty group. However, this is a physician who is board certified and credentialled as an ER doc vs being admitted to a physician credentialled as an Endocrinologist. In this case, the ER docs charges are not wrapped into the Endocrinologists charges. Or at least that is my understanding. Am I wrong?
    Rachele Porter, AS, CPC, CPC-H, CEDC
    no weapons formed against me shall prosper

  5. #5
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by racheleporter View Post
    yes you are wrong...any visit resulting in an admission is bundled into the admission and the POS is 21
    Where is that documented? Thx.

  6. #6
    Default
    cpt book beginning of e/m and the CMS website here is an example

    [PDF] CMS Manual System Department of Health & Human Services (DHHS) Pub ...
    ... When a beneficiary receives outpatient hospital services during the day immediately
    preceding the hospital admission, the outpatient hospital services are ...
    http://www.cms.hhs.gov/transmittals/...R1429CPTXT.pdf - 2008-02-02 - Text Version
    [ More results from www.cms.hhs.gov/transmittals/downloads ]


    Quote Originally Posted by spirving View Post
    Where is that documented? Thx.
    Last edited by racheleporter; 06-24-2008 at 10:52 AM. Reason: yes
    Rachele Porter, AS, CPC, CPC-H, CEDC
    no weapons formed against me shall prosper

  7. #7
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by racheleporter View Post
    cpt book beginning of e/m and the CMS website here is an example

    [PDF] CMS Manual System Department of Health & Human Services (DHHS) Pub ...
    ... When a beneficiary receives outpatient hospital services during the day immediately
    preceding the hospital admission, the outpatient hospital services are ...
    http://www.cms.hhs.gov/transmittals/...R1429CPTXT.pdf - 2008-02-02 - Text Version
    [ More results from www.cms.hhs.gov/transmittals/downloads ]
    The CMS website specifically states Part A which is facility and that make sense. I'm not sold on the physician though, that's why physician's have different credentialls so that they can bill differently from each other and not all lumped together. The CPT breaks down bundling of codes when it's the same doctor or doctor of same specialty/group. What I have is two different specialties who are credentialled by the state and by the carrier as different types of providers. They should be coded differently for CPT, I'm just questioning POS. When the ambulance takes someone to the hospital, they don't bill POS 21 because the pt was eventually admitted, they bill the POS where services were rendered.

    I'm definitely not trying to argue, I appreciate your feedback. It's alot of information to consider. I think I will take this to our coding compliance dept for a review. Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. POS Question
    By Aly13 in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-22-2013, 12:57 PM
  2. POS Question
    By dsnider76 in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-11-2011, 08:46 AM
  3. POS Question
    By MAult142 in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-03-2010, 08:54 AM
  4. POS Question
    By MnTwins29 in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-08-2010, 07:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Enjoying Our Forums?

AAPC forums are a benefit of membership. Joining AAPC grants you unlimited access, allowing you to post questions and participate with our community of over 150,000 professionals.

Join Now Continue Reading Without Full Access

Already a Member?

Login

Close Message

In addition to full participation on AAPC forums, as a member you will be able to:

  • Access to the largest healthcare job database in the world.
  • Join over 150,000 members of the healthcare network in the world.
  • Be a part of an industry leading organization that drives the business side of healthcare.
  • Save anywhere from 10%-50% with exclusive member discounts on courses, books, study materials, and conferences.
  • Access to discounts at hundreds of restaurants, travel destinations, retail stores, and service providers. AAPC members also have opportunities to save on heath, life, and liability insurance.
  • Become a member of a local chapter and attend regular meetings.