need help with postoperative aftercare code

Default need help with postoperative aftercare code
    Exam Training Packages
    I'm trying to determine the correct ICD 9 code to use for a postoperative global period office visit for a subcromial decompression with partial clavical resection. I do know I should use an aftercare instead of a follow-up code since the patient is still in the healing process. Would V54.9 be appropriate to use?

Quote Originally Posted by tucker0704@sbcglobal.net View Post
    I'm trying to determine the correct ICD 9 code to use for a postoperative global period office visit for a subcromial decompression with partial clavical resection. I do know I should use an aftercare instead of a follow-up code since the patient is still in the healing process. Would V54.9 be appropriate to use?
    That's probably one I'd lean towards...did you see V58.78 (Aftercare following surgery to the musculoskeletal system, NEC)? It's supposed to be used in conjunction with another aftercare code to provide more detail on the encounter...

I use V58.78 for all my post op surgeries where it is normal after care, Except for after care that has a specific code.
    Tina Wosmek CPC, COSC

4. Wink
    I agree v58.78 should be used in conjuntion withv54.9 to show ortho care following surgery to musculoskeletal system...

Similar Threads

1. aftercare code
    By solocoder in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-04-2015, 10:17 AM
  2. aftercare code needed
    By micki127 in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-11-2014, 10:21 AM
  3. which aftercare dx code?
    By micki127 in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 2