Would have to look at recent patient history. Edema may be the result of decreased activity, i.e. bed rest, prolonged travel, anything that impairs local or general skeletal muscle activity (reference skeletal muscle pump.) In the absence of decreased skeletal muscle activity, the next most likely cause of edema besides electrolyte imbalance (sodium) is cardiac related; right vs left ventricular failure. the type of edema if it is cardiac related, pedal (right ventricular failure), jugular venous distention (jvd) ((left ventricular failure)).
In short, edema is not necessarily a cardiac issue.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join