AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Tx of barholins gland cyst ???

Default Tx of barholins gland cyst ???

AAPC: Back to School
    I need some help coding this one please. The doctor ablated the cyst lining with a co2 laser prior to the marsupialization of the Bartholins gland cyst how do I code this? I have the 56440 for the marsupilization but am stumped on the ablation. Any suggestions?

Temple, TX

I think the CO treatment may get denied if you tried to bill for it....
    I googled and 17000 was a recommendation. The CPT book states though destruction:
    So, I'm not sure.
    The CO2 treatment did not destroy the cyst, so I would just code the other code 56440.
    The Oracle

As for my openion, the bartholian cyst treatment goes into the Specialty code - female genital system codes either 56405 or 56440.
    In this case the documentation Marsupialization code includes incision ,drainage ,removal of tissues(ablation) and marsupialization.
    So I would suggest for 56440. If the procedure required more work and time , modifier-22 could be appended to

Similar Threads

1. Adrenal gland biopsy
    By singram in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-07-2015, 02:56 PM
  2. Excision of skene's gland cyst
    By tpkeith in forum OB/GYN
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-22-2014, 06:02 AM
  3. skene's gland cyst
    By Rgreen0118 in forum OB/GYN
    Replies: 2