AAPC - Back to school
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Required ICD 10 proficency test to keep CPC

Northeast Kansas (NEKAAPC)

AAPC: Back to School
    This is directly off of the AAPC website under ICD-10 FAQ's:

What is the ICD-10 Proficiency Assessment and is it required?

The ICD-10 Proficiency Assessment is the only step of this roadmap required for all certified AAPC members. You should prepare yourself as you would for other exams or assessments. To ensure employers continue to have confidence in a certified coder’s ability to accurately code the current code sets, AAPC certified members will have two years to pass an open-book, online, unproctored assessment.

It will measure your understanding of ICD-10-CM format and structure, groupings and categories of codes, ICD-10-CM official guidelines, and coding concepts.

Required for AAPC certified coders, recommended for all other coders
    Two (2) years to take and pass the assessment, beginning October 1, 2012 (one year before implementation of ICD-10) and ending September 30, 2014 (one year after implementation)
    75 questions, open-book, online, and unproctored
    Coders will have two (2) attempts at passing for the $60 administration fee
    ICD-10-CM only (ICD-10-PCS will not be covered in the assessment)
    No CEUs given
    Brenda Edwards, CPC, CPB, CPMA, CPC-I, CEMC, CRC
    AAPC ICD-10-CM/PCS Training Expert

Kindness is contagious-PASS IT ON!

Thanks Brenda Edwards for the complete information...

Nalini CPC

Default Study classes

Will there be any study classes in Tulsa?

Columbus GA

I actually feel good about being tested for ICD-10. I can't wait to show my supervisor that I am ready for ICD-10 and anything else they throw at me as a CPC. How hard can a little test be after passing the 5 1/2 hour one we took before? Come on guys be proud of your knowledge and quit your whining. They need us!!!!!!

Default Icd 10

We don't need to panic, but prepare. Just like we did for our first exam.

The hard part will be to get our physicians to document a much higher level of specificity.

Take a breath, a class, get a book--whatever you have to in order to insure YOUR success.

Default ICD 10 Test

I am an AHIMA member and just went through the ICD 10 Academy. While I agree there should be a test on ICD 10, I don't believe your credential should ride on you passing this exam. I think AAPC should have a passing score that is acceptable to them for I-10. But the CPC is geared more towards CPT codes, at least to me.

I really hope that the AAPC will reconsider this for their members. I'm concerned for those folks in a small doctor office who is limited due to funds and/or location to get adequately trained on ICD 10.

But in the end, you do what you have to do.
    Last edited by pediatrics; 06-30-2011 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellde View Post
    where did you hear it was 1 hour? The last I heard the time length has yet to be determined. Also from what I understand it will be diagnosis only and multiple choice. What could be easier! ICD-10 CM honestly is not that hard, You just do not have everything memorized. It forces you to read everything in order to understand which code to use. I kind of like it even!
    That is encouraging Mitchellde, instead of letting everybody brood over the regualtory norms from AAPC.
    All that is needed is the Methodology of Learning ICD-10-
    Well, can any one, who has gone through those books and materials, advice or guide those who do not have the reach to those books and materials, like, kind of where/ how to start, or refer to or continue and to how-fast and the method of learning, to be equipped for the exam first and then for application thereafter.
    Yes many of us can not afford to buy those /materials/seminars or webinars ATALL especially those who do not have a job to contribute to advance their career.
    Which of the library local or on line provide/lend us to go through at our own pace /stipulated time of lending - meaning, staying at home and read the text of ICD 10 systematically as a hard copy or online/ websites.
    Yes , if we know how to start and schedule the studies and cross reference etc, from now on, I think it is not going to be Herculian task.
    I think this kind of emotional and moral support would be very helpful to bind us all to stay tuned to the field as a family. we do not want ANY ONE to be let or scratched off.

In a nut shell, how to start from "0'' level money contribution to get to the road of examination?

Can any one start a class free of cast ( say in this forum) regularly from kinderkarten ICD10upto armoring for the exam? It will be a great social service!!!

I feel seniors and experts like Mitchellde could help well.
    Thank you.

I personally don't think it is fair to put our hard earned credentials on the line for learning a new system that every coder has to learn. Learning a new process that is required for our jobs is stressful enough without adding the additional stress of retaking a test--if we passed the test originally and are able to do our jobs to satisfy our employers requirements then why do we have to prove to AAPC that we are still proficient in the coding field?? AHIMA has no requirements for their certified coders be retested! Some of us have been certified in our specialities for 10+ years and now we have to take a test! I think anyone who has their credentials should be GRANDFATHERED and be able to submit CEU's that pertain to ICD-10 training to maintain their credentials. We have to have more CEU's than AHIMA anyway, why make it even more difficult?? Our facility is only concerned with AHIMA guidelines since most of the coders are CCS's and the out-patient coders are on their own to figure out what/why this is required.

Northeast Kansas (NEKAAPC)

Thumbs up

The proficiency assessment will show our employers that we are qualified to code under what will be the current code set. There is no way to know if "grandfathered" credentialed coders would have an understanding of ICD-10-CM format or how to accurately use the code set. The assessment is open book, , online and unproctored; the AAPC is making this as painless as possible for us.

AHIMA may not require their coders to "retest" but I have heard they will require their members to pay for extra ceu's for ICD-10.

I know as hard as I have worked for my credentials, I want to be able to prove that I am the most knowledgeable that I can be. The only way to measure our knowledge of ICD-10-CM is by having a proficiency assessment.

It might be a good thing for all of us to re-read the AAPC's Code of Ethics. This is my profession and I will continue to hold it to a higher standard.
    Brenda Edwards, CPC, CPB, CPMA, CPC-I, CEMC, CRC
    AAPC ICD-10-CM/PCS Training Expert

Kindness is contagious-PASS IT ON!

Kansas City, MO

I agree with Brenda. I like the fact that I will be able to say that I am certified in ICD-10. We are certified coders, and coding will include ICD-10 come 2013. I understand the requirement and support it. There is plenty of time for us who are not rich to put away a few bucks each month in a piggy bank.

Also, the AAPC has provided the local chapter officers with FREE ICD-10 teaching programs (power points, etc), so if your chapter has not provided anything on ICD-10, just ask or suggest they do. Getting involved in your local chapter is a great way to learn through free or low-cost CEU's. Our chapter has had two ICD-10 based meetings, and will be showing the programs supplied by national as well. We are also considering taking the test as a group.
    Linda Vargas, CPC, CPCO, CPMA, CPC-I, CEMC
    PMCC Licensed Instructor
    Kansas City, MO Chapter
    Member Development Officer 2016
    Harrisonville, MO Chapter President - 2013
    ICD-10 Education Coordinator- 2012
    Chapter President - 2011
    President Elect - 2010

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast