Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Required ICD 10 proficency test to keep CPC

Medical Coding Books
    The ICD-10 proficiency assessment (not a test) as a group:

You would be conducting this in a round table format? What I mean to say is you would select a date for the assessment and each person would bring their laptop to take it on-line; it would not be a group effort. However, there could be attendees with a background in another specialty who could offer insight on that specialty.

So, what I am saying is each person will still take their own proficiency assessment.
    Brenda Edwards, CPC, CDEO, CPB, CPMA, CPC-I, CEMC, CRC
    AAPC Fellow
    AAPC ICD-10-CM/PCS Training Expert

Kindness is contagious-PASS IT ON!

My god reading some of these its just amazing. I have a feeling those whining the most took the most times at passing, how many times did you have to take the exam before you passed it?

And to the person who said CPC is just CPT um get your head out of you butt it is for Physician coding not CPT. What test were you taking??????

I completely agree with the AAPC's ruling that if you don't pass your no longer certified. I mean seriously do you think physicians will take us seriously if we are not ICD-10 proficient? NO WAY.

So suck it up and prep people. As for the expense I know its a lot, and I have to do it all on my own. I can probably guess that those whining the most can get their employers to pay for their training but yet they whine. Grow up people the world is changing, we are almost 20 years behind in the coding industry. We should be PROUD to finally be going on to what other countries have done so YEARS ago.

If you spread the cost of the ICD-10 assessment over the next 14 months, it amounts to less than fifteen cents per day or a buck per week. It seems like a good ROI, to me.

Personally, I'd like to see AAPC raise the passing score required to obtain certification.

What many of us as coders are missing (or may not thought of completely) is that ICD-9 will still be used for 18 months to 2 years after ICD-10 goes into effect. All of the services that our practices have provided to our patients on September 30, 2013 and prior to that are not going to be miraculously paid for at midnight when ICD-10 goes into effect and I have been told that contrary to what CMS anticipates that insurance carries such as Work Comp and MedPay, as well as some of the smaller insurance companies may opt to not convert to ICD-10 due to the cost factor involved which means we will be using two diagnosis code systems for a while. I recently encountered a coder from California who told me that she has a MedPay carrier (wouldn't tell me which one) that has not updated their CPT or ICD-9 codes in several years which means she has to make sure that the codes she submits to them are from the last year they are using codes from in order to get paid. Living in a town where there are a lot of local health insurance carriers for different employers, we are going to have to be on our toes for many years to come to make sure we use the right codes so that we don't deal with a lot of denials. As far as the thought that AAPC is being unfair to require us to re-certify under ICD-10, we should consider the fact that part of our commitment to doing our jobs requires us to be up-to-date and current on the latest changes in the field.

Very well said JG24!
    Brenda Edwards, CPC, CDEO, CPB, CPMA, CPC-I, CEMC, CRC
    AAPC Fellow
    AAPC ICD-10-CM/PCS Training Expert

Kindness is contagious-PASS IT ON!

Default Free ICD 10 Training from World Health Organization
    I found this free training on the structure of ICD 10. It is pretty long and takes a while to get through. You can stop and start as much as you would like. It teaches you so much. I feel much more confident when ICD 10 is mandatory. It doesn't teach you enough to take the certification, but you will get a good idea of what ICD 10 is all about.

http://apps.who.int/classifications/...ICD10Training/

7. Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards View Post
    This is directly off of the AAPC website under ICD-10 FAQ's:

What is the ICD-10 Proficiency Assessment and is it required?

The ICD-10 Proficiency Assessment is the only step of this roadmap required for all certified AAPC members. You should prepare yourself as you would for other exams or assessments. To ensure employers continue to have confidence in a certified coder's ability to accurately code the current code sets, AAPC certified members will have two years to pass an open-book, online, unproctored assessment.

It will measure your understanding of ICD-10-CM format and structure, groupings and categories of codes, ICD-10-CM official guidelines, and coding concepts.

Required for AAPC certified coders, recommended for all other coders
    Two (2) years to take and pass the assessment, beginning October 1, 2012 (one year before implementation of ICD-10) and ending September 30, 2014 (one year after implementation)
    75 questions, open-book, online, and unproctored
    Coders will have two (2) attempts at passing for the $60 administration fee
    ICD-10-CM only (ICD-10-PCS will not be covered in the assessment)
    No CEUs given

Thanks so much for posting this information! Very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellde View Post
    where did you hear it was 1 hour? The last I heard the time length has yet to be determined. Also from what I understand it will be diagnosis only and multiple choice. What could be easier! ICD-10 CM honestly is not that hard, You just do not have everything memorized. It forces you to read everything in order to understand which code to use. I kind of like it even!
    AAPC has the details on their website.
    http://www.aapc.com/icd-10/icd-10-pr...ssessment.aspx

Really, doesn't sound bad at all. It is "75 questions, 3.5 hours, open-book, online, unproctored, use any resource available", BTW.
    Ruth Sheets, CPC
    CodingCertification.Org

From AAPC Website:

The ICD-10 Proficiency Assessment is the only step of our training plan required for all certified AAPC members (excluding CPPM®, CPCO™, and CIRCC®). You should prepare yourself as you would for other exams or assessments. To ensure employers continue to have confidence in a certified coder's ability to accurately code the current code sets, AAPC certified members will have two years to pass an open-book, online, unproctored assessment.

It will measure your understanding of ICD-10-CM format and structure, groupings and categories of codes, ICD-10-CM official guidelines, and coding concepts.

Required for all AAPC credential holders (excluding CPPM®, CPCO™, and CIRCC®), recommended for all others working with the new code set
    Two (2) years to take and pass the assessment, beginning October 1, 2013 (one year before implementation of ICD-10)
    and ending September 30, 2015 (one year after implementation)
    75 questions, 3.5 hours, open-book, online, unproctored, use any resource available
    Coders will have two (2) attempts at passing (reaching an 80% score) over a two year window (Oct 1, 2013 – Sept. 30, 2015) for the $60 administration fee
    ICD-10-CM only (ICD-10-PCS will not be covered in the assessment)
    No CEUs given

Quote Originally Posted by ithomas14 View Post
    I found this free training on the structure of ICD 10. It is pretty long and takes a while to get through. You can stop and start as much as you would like. It teaches you so much. I feel much more confident when ICD 10 is mandatory. It doesn't teach you enough to take the certification, but you will get a good idea of what ICD 10 is all about.

http://apps.who.int/classifications/...ICD10Training/
    Just wanted to clarify (because when I started working with ICD-10 I really wasn't aware of the history):
    What WHO has put out is the most basic of ICD-10 (world wide). In the USA, for our claims coding, we use the clinical modification (ICD-10-CM), which is different. But, for basic learning about the structure of ICD-10, this website is helpful.

Michelle

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast