Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Required ICD 10 proficency test to keep CPC

Question Preparation for the test
    Exam Training Packages
    Hi, as an Apprentice who has little money for the boot camps, what would you suggest I do to prepare for the test? Are there books that strictly have the guidelines? I took the A&P online course for all body systems, by the AAPC. I do have my packets and can read over those. Will there be an affordable regional boot camp? I live in Connecticut, near New Haven.
    Meegan Sweeney, CPC-A

2. Default
    I have my CPC-H and would like to know if I will be taking the same test as the CPC people? I heard mine will be different. Please reply if you know the answer to my question. Thank you!

I'm sure AAPC can clarify for you, however, if you had to test on the ICD-9 procedure codes, you will probably be tested on your knowledge of PCS codes for the ICD-10 exam.
    Michelle

The ICD-10 CM exam is diagnosis only and contains no questions regarding PCS or CPT or HCPC II. The AAPC has been very clear on this issue. There is no different exam for the different certifications, outpatient and physician coding rules are the same with respect to the diagnosis.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

5. Question
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchellde View Post
    where did you hear it was 1 hour? The last I heard the time length has yet to be determined. Also from what I understand it will be diagnosis only and multiple choice. What could be easier! ICD-10 CM honestly is not that hard, You just do not have everything memorized. It forces you to read everything in order to understand which code to use. I kind of like it even!
    Any recommendaions as to how to study and prepare for the new exam. Books etc....

A code book and study the guidelines and chapter and subchapter instructions.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

7. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchellde View Post
    where did you hear it was 1 hour? The last I heard the time length has yet to be determined. Also from what I understand it will be diagnosis only and multiple choice. What could be easier! ICD-10 CM honestly is not that hard, You just do not have everything memorized. It forces you to read everything in order to understand which code to use. I kind of like it even!

I think it should be fine if you stick to the general rules and guidelines set forth for ICD-9 coding.

the guidelines are VERY similar to ICD 9 so there is one good shining light since we have to use both for at least the first few years in the industry. Get a copy of the ICD 10 draft its an excellent resource. I have it and use it as a guide and reference.

To those whom are rooting for AHIMA's requirements. What does CEU's Prove????? That you can sit through a webinar? This exam proves we know what we are doing. I for one prefer this method. We say we are the best of the best well we need to prove we are.

Quote Originally Posted by msweeney76 View Post
    Hi, as an Apprentice who has little money for the boot camps, what would you suggest I do to prepare for the test? Are there books that strictly have the guidelines? I took the A&P online course for all body systems, by the AAPC. I do have my packets and can read over those. Will there be an affordable regional boot camp? I live in Connecticut, near New Haven.

Megan;

Look to your local chapter to see what they are doing to help members get ready for ICD-10-CM. There is a Regional Conference in Baltimore in November that will have an ICD-10-CM track to it that may be more affordable for you. You can find the agenda on line now under Continuing Education.
    Susan Ward, CPC, COC, CPC-I, CEMC, CPCD, CPRC
    AAPC ICD-10 Expert Trainer
    susanwardcpc@live.com

A small act of kindness a day can make someone's day special

10. Default
    Hello, Susan

Eric from the Sacramento boot camp here

For the posters: definitely get to a boot camp if you can afford it, but if you can't I'm sure your local chapter is offering some sort of 2-day training that probably cycles back to the beginning every 3 to 6 months. The test is MUCH MUCH MUCH easier than the CPC and is open-book and only includes Dx codes

I was able to finish in 90 minutes and only had to use the internet once and the guidelines twice.

For those of you in extreme rural areas, I recommend you hammer your guidelines and you should be fine if you have any kind of rule-out ability at all

Finally, TAB YOUR BOOK!!!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast