AAPC - Back to school
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Required ICD 10 proficency test to keep CPC

Columbia, MO

AAPC: Back to School
    Quote Originally Posted by erjones147 View Post
    Hello, Susan

Eric from the Sacramento boot camp here

For the posters: definitely get to a boot camp if you can afford it, but if you can't I'm sure your local chapter is offering some sort of 2-day training that probably cycles back to the beginning every 3 to 6 months. The test is MUCH MUCH MUCH easier than the CPC and is open-book and only includes Dx codes

I was able to finish in 90 minutes and only had to use the internet once and the guidelines twice.

For those of you in extreme rural areas, I recommend you hammer your guidelines and you should be fine if you have any kind of rule-out ability at all

Finally, TAB YOUR BOOK!!!
    How were you able to take the test already? it is not suppose to be available until Oct 1???

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Early access for boot camp attendees, if you purchased the assessment at the same time you bought the boot camp and a specialty training (family practice, in my case)

it makes sense for those doing boot camp to get it early, after all look how much they spent hehe. i for one can't WAIT till October 1st to take my exam. I am ready to prove my worth

El Paso

Default Free ICD-10 training

There are over 25 hours in 36 modules at www.codapedia.com presented by Nancy McGuire, who is an excellent teacher. You have to register (free) to get access. No CEUs but HEY! it's free ICD-10 training.
    Susan M. Garrett, CPC, COC
    Past President El Paso Texas Chapter AAPC
    Past Member AAPCCA Board of Directors
    cell 915-204-8333

What's the big deal? I started coding and billing in 1979 when ICD-9 first came out. We didn't have any seminars or webinars to access for training. I was just given this big hard cover ICD-9 book & was told to start using it. I read the guidelines in the book & started coding. Recently attended a free seminar which very clearly explained the similiarities & differences of the ICD-10 to ICD-9. As before, I will read the guidelines in the beginning of the book and start coding. After taking the CPC certification test, taking an online test for proficiency in ICD-10 shouldn't be that difficult.

Smile ICD -10 Proficiency Assessment

Here is information from AAPC :

All AAPC credential holders (excluding CPPM , CPCO, and CIRCC, , recommended for all others working with the new code set.

Two years to take and pass the assessment, beginning October1,2013 (one year before implementation of ICD-10) and ending September 30,2015 (one year after implementation)

75 questions ,3.5hours, open-book, online, unproctored , use any resource available

Coders will have two (2) attempts at passing (reaching an 80% score) over a two year window (Oct 1, 2013 - Sept 30, 2015) for the $60 administration fee

ICD-10-CM only (ICD-10-PCS will not be covered in the assessment)

No CEUs given.

Kimberly Mai

Stuart Sailfish Chapter

WOW. Thanks for that TIDBIT Susan Garret!! I am going to share that with my chapter members

Candice Fenildo, CPC, CPMA, CPB, CENTC, CPC-I
    AAPC Chapter Association Board of Directors ( Chair)
    Region 6, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio

"Nothing is stronger than the heart of a volunteer"

Default Exam Content

Question about the content of the proficiency exams:

I understand only Dx codes will be on the exam (no procedure codes) but will there be A&P and med term questions on the exam? ie: the epiglottis is located in the A) foot B) hand etc or will you just need to be able to determine the best code for the anatomical location? I have been brushing up on A&P and med term so I'm not asking if I should be studying these areas just if there are specific questions on the exam in these categories. For the CPC exam they say 10 questions on integumentary, 10 questions on GI, 10 med term, etc. Is there any sort of format similar to this for the I-10 proficiency exam?

Northeast Kansas (NEKAAPC)

The assessment is to show proficiency with the I10 code set. One of the best things to prepare is know the official coding guidelines. Don't dwell on the breakdown, instead get familiar with the different terms you may have to use to look up in the alpha index and locating the codes in the tabular index.
    Brenda Edwards, CPC, CPB, CPMA, CPC-I, CEMC, CRC
    AAPC ICD-10-CM/PCS Training Expert

Kindness is contagious-PASS IT ON!

Default Percentage

What is the percentage to pass the ICD-10 test?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast