Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Required ICD 10 proficency test to keep CPC

Default Required ICD 10 proficency test to keep CPC
    Medical Coding Books
    I just heard from a consulting group (in a webinar) that the AAPC is requiring all current CPC credentialed member to take a ICD 10 proficency test in order to maintain their current certification as CPC. Has anyone heard this?
    Texmexsop

Yes it is true the details are on the website, it will be availble to take starting October 2012 from what I understand at this time.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

3. Unhappy Icd-10 proficiency test
    Quote Originally Posted by texmexsop View Post
    I just heard from a consulting group (in a webinar) that the AAPC is requiring all current CPC credentialed member to take a ICD 10 proficency test in order to maintain their current certification as CPC. Has anyone heard this?

Yes, that is true. Last year at the pre conference meeting in Jacksonville, Fla Deb Grinder said that we must pay a fee for the proficiency test (something like $60?) thru the AAPC. We are given two attempts for that fee. IF WE FAIL BOTH TIMES WE LOSE OUR AAPC CERTIFICATION COMPLETELY!!! The whole room was buzzing. I was so blown away by this. I understand it is very important that we learn this new system but to be penalized and lose our entire certification that we worked so hard for if we have trouble with it...I think the AAPC is being very unfair with this requirement.

Thats amazing the AAPC is requiring this. Ahima is just requiring extra CEU's for ICD-10

Quote Originally Posted by mzgreenthumb731 View Post
    Yes, that is true. Last year at the pre conference meeting in Jacksonville, Fla Deb Grinder said that we must pay a fee for the proficiency test (something like $60?) thru the AAPC. We are given two attempts for that fee. IF WE FAIL BOTH TIMES WE LOSE OUR AAPC CERTIFICATION COMPLETELY!!! The whole room was buzzing. I was so blown away by this. I understand it is very important that we learn this new system but to be penalized and lose our entire certification that we worked so hard for if we have trouble with it...I think the AAPC is being very unfair with this requirement.
    The APPC is being fair I believe. Its an open book format test unproctored that you take online. The length of the exam is not yet determined. By requiring an ICD-10-CM proficiency test it makes our certification as CPC that much more valuable. Its the future of coding, if you can't pass a proficiency exam for the new code sets then you should lose your certification (though I have not heard that particular piece yet). If you can't code based on current code sets what good is having a CPC certification?

I just took a CMS/AAPC ICD-10 webinar that reccomends not taking the exam until 6 months before implementation as "if you don't use it you lose it". So we have quite a while to prepare and I don't really think its anything to worry about. If you passed the initial exam you should be good to go.
    Errika Jenkins, CPC
    [Medicare Risk Adjustment Learning Facilitator
    Humana Insurance Co
    ekrause1@humana.com
    509-262-4273

6. Default
    I agree with AAPC requiring this certification. Half of what we do as coders is ICD-9, and that will cease to exist. And ICD-10 is astronomically more challenging than ICD-9. If we don't have complete understanding of how to use ICD-10, we will hold up reimbursement for our employers. In my mind the hard part won't be our understanding & using ICD-10...it'll be getting our Providers to document thoroughly enough to use it!

Jenna

come on seriously we had to pass the exam in the first place to get our certification, it just makes sense to do this as well. i mean anyone can just pass(or even fake their way through a class) for ceu credits. what was this exam but a full on way to prove what we can do and that we can do it huh? and i am sure they will allow another chance, you just have to pay for it just like our credentials. but if we actually sit down study and prep for this it shouldn't be that hard to pass the exam.
    Last edited by pandorarose3; 05-10-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Default proficiency test
    I am shocked myself that AAPC is requiring this test and charging $60 for it. AHIMA is requiring a certain number of CEU's to be obtained in ICD-10, and AHIMA's testing to even get credentialed in my opinion is much harder, and I think AHIMA is doing the right thing.

But taking the test is no big deal however, I do not think there should be a time limit of 1 hour to take the test. Can you imagine people freezing up because they can only spend one minute per question....we already proved our knowledge in order to get the credential to begin with...

where did you hear it was 1 hour? The last I heard the time length has yet to be determined. Also from what I understand it will be diagnosis only and multiple choice. What could be easier! ICD-10 CM honestly is not that hard, You just do not have everything memorized. It forces you to read everything in order to understand which code to use. I kind of like it even!

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

10. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by texmexsop View Post
    Yes, that is true. It's an online test, very affordable. 2 chances at passing for the one fee.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast