AAPC - Back to school

Thread: IV Push: Missing Stop Time (ER Facility Coding)

Default IV Push: Missing Stop Time (ER Facility Coding)

AAPC: Back to School
    Greetings my Fellow Coders!

I'm in need of accurate assistance regarding facility ER coding for an IV Push. If the documentation is missing the "stop time" for an IV push, is it "ok" to still code this procedure?

In addition, does anyone know of a website that I can refer to regarding policies on this matter. Does anyone also know of a website that provides information on drugs that are commonly used for an IV Push and drugs that are commonly used for an IV Infusion? Any assistance is truly appreciated!

An infusion of 15 minutes or less is coded as a push. A stop time is not required for an IVP.

Here is an online lesson on injection and infusion coding that explains the hierarchy and use of modifier 59:

Another article: http://justcoding.com/262316/unravel...ding-confusion

A list of IVP you might see given in the ED to get you started: http://www.rphworld.com/viewlink-25619.html
    I would add Adenosine, Atropine, Dilaudid, Demerol, Morphine and Insulin.

A list of IV drips (therapeutic infusions): http://www.rphworld.com/viewlink-25629.html
    I would add insulin and Heparin.

Other IV infusions include electrolyte replacement (Magnesium, K-riders aka KCL, Phosphorus and Calcium), IVPB antibiotics/antifungals (Ampicillin, Azithromycin, Bactrim, Cefazidine, Cefmetazole, Cefoxitin, Flagyl, Gentamycin, Tobramycin, Vancomycin, Levoquin, Rocephin, Zosyn and Zyvox)

That should get you started!

Mojo you are simply awesome! Thank you "so" much for this valuable information. This helps out tremendously. You have no idea how much clarity you have just provided to the amount of confusion I was experiencing. I'm truly grateful for your much appreciated help in this matter!

I had a list of IVP, IVPB and other therapeutic infusions I compiled for my facility coding team. Of course, I couldn't find it. The most frequent IV meds I encountered were:

Cardizem IVP, followed by an infusion of Cardizem
    Nitro (Tridil, NTG) infusion
    Adenosine IVP (this has to be given quickly over a couple of seconds, followed by a NS IVP bolus to get the drug in quickly)
    Banana Bags (therapuetic infusions administered to alcoholics) - it may be listed as a liter of IVF with MVI (multivitamins that make the solution yellow - Banana Bag), thiamine, folic acid and magnesium
    Electrolyte replacements
    Various antibiotics, most commonly Levoquin and Rocephin
    Dopamine infusion
    Levophed infusion
    Zofran IVP
    Pepcid IVP
    Protonix IVP or infusion
    Insulin IVP or infusion
    Morphine IVP
    Ativan IVP
    Narcan IVP