I agree with your code. The reason was the pregnancy test and the outcome dx should be coded. The definition states: Pregnancy examination or test, negative pregnancy.
V26.49 definition states: Other procreative management, counseling and advise. The description falls under general counseling and advice, so I can see why the office would like to select this due to the counseling provided.
But, as you say, the reason for the visit was not counseling, but the pregnancy test. The result was negative and the counseling for the results are included/ or part of this. I wonder if you could talk to your insurance on how to handle the situation.
Pregnancy testing encounters are codd based on the results of the test or exam that are known at the time of the encounter.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join