deer tick removal

Question deer tick removal
    Exam Training Packages
    Pt came into office complaining tick in back. Dr removed tick. What dx would you use for this?? thanks alot

Quote Originally Posted by HBULLOCK View Post
    Pt came into office complaining tick in back. Dr removed tick. What dx would you use for this?? thanks alot
    911.4 if it's not infected, 911.5 if it is. Hope that helps!

Isn't there a code in the parasite section of the icd 9 book for ticks? I thought deer ticks were the leading cause of Lyme disease in the US so wouldn't there be a code? It seems to me that ticks are parasites and having one latch on is not the same as your run of the mill ant bite. Just a thought, I haven't looked at the book so I could be totally wrong.
    Vanessa Mier, CPC

I just googled "icd 9 code for tick" and the first link that was provided included the following information.

http://www.aafp.org/fpm/2006/0300/p33.html

ICD-9 code for tick removal

QWhat is the proper ICD-9 code for removing a tick?

AThere is no specific ICD-9 code for tick infestation on the skin, although there are such codes for chiggers, lice and leeches. Because a tick is technically a mite, the proper ICD-9 code would be 133.9, “Acariasis, unspecified.”
    Vanessa Mier, CPC

Quote Originally Posted by ohn0disaster View Post
    I just googled "icd 9 code for tick" and the first link that was provided included the following information.

http://www.aafp.org/fpm/2006/0300/p33.html

ICD-9 code for tick removal

QWhat is the proper ICD-9 code for removing a tick?

AThere is no specific ICD-9 code for tick infestation on the skin, although there are such codes for chiggers, lice and leeches. Because a tick is technically a mite, the proper ICD-9 code would be 133.9, “Acariasis, unspecified.”
    Hmmm...well, I've learned something today!
    I actually looked for something like that, because I thought the same thing as you - especially since it was a deer tick (those carry Lyme disease more than other species). I even looked up Lyme disease to see if there was a note about possible exposure, but everything kept leading back to 'superficial injury' - good work!

Well ladies thanks so much for your input.

Default tick removal
    Would that make the article below incorrect as it states to apply 911.4 for a tick removed from the back.

http://codingnews.inhealthcare.com/h...ct-fast-facts/

Dena Brandt CPC

Quote Originally Posted by denarh40 View Post
    Would that make the article below incorrect as it states to apply 911.4 for a tick removed from the back.

http://codingnews.inhealthcare.com/h...ct-fast-facts/

Dena Brandt CPC
    Well, I'm going to go with yes, it's incorrect, for the tick removal and no, it's not incorrect, for the tick bite. AAFP is a fairly reputable source of information, that I know. However, I have never heard of "codingnews.inhealthcare.com" so I cannot speak on that. Anyway, the reason that I say yes and no is because I'm just using logic to reach my conclussion. When a tick bites, you're then left with a tick bite. If a tick bites and latches on, you are then left with a parasite which then needs to be removed.

I am not registered with codingnews.inhealthcare.com so the article cuts off and I am unable to read past "One detail tells you whether you should call on one or two 910-919 codes. Ask, “Does the encounter involve tick removal?”

If the answer is “Yes”, you should..."

I'm unsure what it tells you to assign if the patient is needing tick removal.
    Vanessa Mier, CPC

Okay, thanks! I appreciate your response.

Dena Brandt CPC