20160831 - FREE Code Books with Exam Prep Packages | Learn More

AAPC - August DL Sale: 50% OFF

Thread: Bier Block for Carpal Tunnel Release (Newbie)

Default Bier Block for Carpal Tunnel Release (Newbie)

Hello all, I hope someone can clarify this for me.

I have an operative report for a carpal tunnel release with a bier block. The procedure description does not state if the physician or an anesthesiologist administered the bier block.

I found this article http://www.supercoder.com/articles/a...locks-purpose/ that discusses this to an extent.

So what I was wanting to know is

1. If the physician did indeed administer the bier block, would I add modifier 47 to the 64721 code for the carpal tunnel release in addition to the 01810 code for the anesthesia?
    2. How do I determine who administered the anesthesia if the procedure does not specifically state?

Thanks,
    Christy

01995 Code deleted effective 12/31/2006

The link from 2005 you provided is prior to the code being deleted.

I would review the record available, might be additional sedation being provided other than soley a bier block and depending on the facility performed, the anesthesia for the case was probally provided by a provider other the performing physician.

Based on NCCI edits 01810 is column two code of column one code 64721 and modifier is not allowed.

I also believe that the physician performing the procedure can not also report the anesthesia code like 01810 from a standpoint other NCCI issues.

Default Sleepdoc-coder

The Anesthesia Record should list who placed the Bier Block. It is my experience as an OR nurse that the CRNA/Anesthesiologist places the Bier Block, but the Anesthesia Record should have the provider listed.