Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

medassurant (remote coding)

1. Default
    Medical Coding Books
    I have worked with MedAssurant for about a month now and I have a friend who has worked with them for I believe a little over a year, I love it. I work a pretty flex schedule, they are good with training and staying involved with you while you get through the training process. Good luck to you....

I applied and received a call from HR and will be calling them back on Monday. I am currently employed and wondering if the training is paid and full time or can it be completed while still working my current job full time? In addition, are you an employee or contracted? Do they offer benefits? Please let me know. Thank you!

Default MedAssurant (remote coding)
    MedAssurant requires that you are available for 40 hours of coding per week (7days). You have to be available for one hour each week during the eastern time zone, in order to communicate with your preceptor and lead. They have sent me a laptop and scanner with all the software loaded. There are no benefits at this time, they make it sound like there could be in the future. I am been assured that there is plenty of coding work out there so one is able to get in 40 hours, however on their website it indicates that this position is good for a coder that currently works another job with 32 hours. If you do not give them 40 hours you are subject to termination. The starting salary range is $15 - $18 per hour. The training is a week long during the business day, you would need to take off work. I have been assured that it is paid training. After training you must pass a test at 95% accuracy, as well as maintain 95% accuracy during your employment. After your "preceptor" period you must pass another test to be able to "over-read" on your own. I am struggling with the decision to take the job, I am going to complete the training to see what it is like (HCC). I would hate to leave a great job, with not so great pay $14.95 and in 90 days not meet the quota and accuracy requirements. However, the savings of the fuel costs and the increased wages bundled together with the tax advantages of a home office makes it very attractive. You are not an independent contractor, you are one of their employees.

Thank you for responding! I am not in a position to take a week off from work and without benefits I'm hard pressed to even consider the position. If I could work part-time then it would be ok, but 40 hrs from home and 40 hrs at my current job, along with starting my bachelor's in Sept just not seem feasible. I'll still call and speak with HR and discuss my situation. Again, thank you for the information.

5. Default
    I had a scheduled phone interview this morning with Medassurant. It was scheduled for 10am and I never received a phone call. I called the girl who had scheduled the interview and never heard back from her. Did anyone else have this experience when applying with them? I'm not sure what to think now...

6. Default MedAssurant
    I actually am working for MedAssurant as a remote coder and love it! I started out going to the sites and am now doing the remote coding. Its great experience learning something different.

7. Default
    I work for them as well. I started out doing initial reviews and now I am doing over-reads. Over-reading is a bit more challenging than the initial reviews, but overall I still love the job!!

How long have you worked for MedAssurant? Do you have steady work? Did you keep another job? Can one make a living working for MedAssurant alone? They just aren't giving me enough secure answers, I can't work 40 hrs at 2 jobs. I would want to quit my current job and work remote. I will be doind over-reads also. What wage did they offer you? The reason I am asking, I am curoius if they are paying different salaries based on the cost of living in different parts of the US?

9. Default Working for MedAssurant
    Good morning everyone,

I have worked for MedAssurant since April. I'm going to try to supply facts, not personal opinion:
    I signed on in March, training was to be the first part of April. The Friday before training week was to start, I recieved a phone call that it had been pushed off for THREE weeks.
    It is, indeed, paid training. However, you don't get paid for your training until you've worked at least one hour with the company outside of training. This was a problem, because after the training week, there wasn't any work available for 2-3 weeks. Generally, communication is pretty good. They've been growing, apparently, and I've been shuffled around quite a bit between preceptors, leads, etc.

Now for my opinions: HCC coding is different from regular coding, obviously, and MedAssurant have their own guidelines, which differ from CMS. Also, there have been several instances where I've gotten something "wrong" that was NOT stated in the training.

SO, should you choose to go with MedAssurant, good luck to you.

10. Default
    I have been working for MedAssurant since June 9, 2008. So far the work has been steady and I have been getting 40 hours per week. I had another full-time job but it became too much for me to handle so I let it go. With cost of gas and childcare, MedAssurant was the best choice for me. Yes you can make a living working for MedAssurant alone. I have gotten 2 paychecks so far and I am pleased. To start out you would be doing reviews, once you have a 5% or less error rate you will begin doing over-reads. My error rate was 0%, which is why I moved to over-reads so quickly. But I must tell you, over-reads are not as nice as the initial reviews. My error rate sky-rocketed once I started doing over-reads and over-reads take much, much longer to complete. I may be in a 7 page chart for 30 minutes or more, but I guess thats because over-reading is new to me and I will eventually pick up speed after a while. I think they offer everyone the same thing, their pay is not based on the cost of living. They have a set amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Icode4U View Post
    How long have you worked for MedAssurant? Do you have steady work? Did you keep another job? Can one make a living working for MedAssurant alone? They just aren't giving me enough secure answers, I can't work 40 hrs at 2 jobs. I would want to quit my current job and work remote. I will be doind over-reads also. What wage did they offer you? The reason I am asking, I am curoius if they are paying different salaries based on the cost of living in different parts of the US?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast