Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

medassurant (remote coding)

1. Default banchee34
    Medical Coding Books
    I too have been wondering about Medassurant. I have a full time job now and am looking for part time work to supplement my income. Do they have home based job for part time employees?

2. Default Cpc-a
    Quote Originally Posted by marygoodsell View Post
    Beth,
    Is it true you have to have the A removed from the CPC before they will hire you? I am having a hard time trying to get a job even for the simpliest one such as a receptionist or clerical position. I feel like I wasted two years of my life going to school to get training for a career that I can't even get into. Do you know of any other websites or companies I can check into, even for billing services? I would really appreciate it so much. Thank you!
    I'm a CPC-A and got hired with Medassurant and just finished training last week. I had previous experience in the dental field and coding ages ago. I explained that although I had the A it was by choice but I was a fast learner. They pushed me through and here I am.

Companies are hestitant to hire an A but there are so many facets of coding. For instance with HCC you are working more for the insurance company versus the physician. I also am a travel coder and in both cases sent them a copy of my certificate and got hired.
    I spent 16 weeks in school, passed the exam the first time and loving I made this career change. Just hang in there and be proactive in the search and you will get a break.

3. Default
    Do you travel for MedAssurant or another company? I am looking for a traveling position.

Quote Originally Posted by demetriary View Post
    I'm a CPC-A and got hired with Medassurant and just finished training last week. I had previous experience in the dental field and coding ages ago. I explained that although I had the A it was by choice but I was a fast learner. They pushed me through and here I am.

Companies are hestitant to hire an A but there are so many facets of coding. For instance with HCC you are working more for the insurance company versus the physician. I also am a travel coder and in both cases sent them a copy of my certificate and got hired.
    I spent 16 weeks in school, passed the exam the first time and loving I made this career change. Just hang in there and be proactive in the search and you will get a break.

4. Red face RAM- travel coding
    Quote Originally Posted by nwcpc-cpc-p View Post
    Do you travel for MedAssurant or another company? I am looking for a traveling position.
    I work at home with MA and travel with a comany called RAM - Risk Adjustment Management, LLC. They rented me a car for 3 weeks and I work 3 weeks in 1 week off. I work CA when I come off my week off rotation. They hired a lot of people and we all started last week. I believe they are still hiring. I was skeptical about working for then because I couldn't find any information. It's real easy work.
    You are extracting the ICD-9 from pt records and working for 1 of 4 insurance companies they are contracted with. No benefits and you are self employed and responsible for your own taxes. I'm enjoying it so far.

Default Job response
    I had also applied to Medassurant and got a call back in about 3 days, but I had submitted my resume on a Thursday night. I took their very simple 20 question test this morning, (it is all ICD-9 questions, no CPT or HCPCS) and have a phone interview with a coding supv on Monday afternoon. Their HR person was a bit snippy about me not being able to just stop at my current job to talk to their coding person on Monday afternoon at 1:30, but I figured if they wanted to talk to me they would fit it more to my schedule. I am a CPC, but haven't had my A removed for all that long (less than 5 months). I am hearing some good and bad about them. We'll see how the phone interview goes and what they would have to offer. No gas and not having to buy office attire would be nice.

6. Default
    How did you go about applying with them? I sent an email to someone but never heard anything back. Also what is their starting pay? If you don't mind me asking.

Quote Originally Posted by demetriary View Post
    I work at home with MA and travel with a comany called RAM - Risk Adjustment Management, LLC. They rented me a car for 3 weeks and I work 3 weeks in 1 week off. I work CA when I come off my week off rotation. They hired a lot of people and we all started last week. I believe they are still hiring. I was skeptical about working for then because I couldn't find any information. It's real easy work.
    You are extracting the ICD-9 from pt records and working for 1 of 4 insurance companies they are contracted with. No benefits and you are self employed and responsible for your own taxes. I'm enjoying it so far.

7. Default
    I started with MA on July 7th and LOVE IT!!! Everyone has been very helpful and friendly. I wouldn't go back to working in a hospital/clinic for anything. I started with them after a friend of mine quit the hospital we both worked at to go work for MA. We both agree it was the best decision we ever made.

8. Default
    I checked my paystub and I live in ND. They payed my state taxes for me based on North Dakota's tax.

I was offered a remote coding position, will start training 8/18/08. anyone with info regarding this company please let me know. I look forward to trying it out with them. Should have laptop and all info from them next week. Anyone work for them?

Default MedAssurant
    I completed the training, scored 100% on my test, everyone was very nice. I resigned last week, these are the reason why; I was unable to be available for 40 hours per week in addition to my current position of 40 hours with my local job. I was unable to set aside 1 hour each day (during EST business hours) to speak with my preceptor. I was unable to attend the weekly meetings (1 hour) with my lead coder, and 1 hour with the team leader. I cannot quit my full time day job with out the security of knowing there will be enough work to work me and pay me for 40 hours. ###The real kicker is they REQUIRE that you sign a NON COMPETE contract. The contract states that you cannot work for another coding company that performs ANY of the same services that MedAssurant does for a 2 Year period after you no longer work for them.### I completed 30 hours of training, passed the test and completed 3 reviews for them. It is my understanding that I will not be paid because I will not sign (on advice from an employment attorney) the non compete contract. (Read through ALL of your paperwork). I performed reviews for them, without sending in the paperwork, I had not signed the privacy policy, HIPAA agreement etc. I feel that this is not good business practice. Other than these issues, I would have loved to work for them. The laptop and scanner was nice, the reports were legible and the people were friendly.
    If you have ever had experience with a NON COMPETE contract, it would give you personal insight. Think about this..if they only have 10 hours of work for you to do in a weeks time, wouldn't you want to suppliment your income? How can you maintain two 40 hour per week jobs? You HAVE to be available to them for 40 hours, you are on stand by. You do not know if you have work until you upload, then download to capture the jobs that are out there. If someone beats you to it, they get the jobs. If you do not get through all of your download, the charts are "sucked" back into the system. There is no way to secure what you download unless you sit down and perform the reviews immediately. You would not be able to get up early, download jobs thinking that when you get home from your full time job that they would be there. If you had a spouse that could support you and could cover the ups and downs of the hours, your only hold back would be the employment contract. The contract also states that your employment status is "at will employment", if you do not make quota, or accuracy and you are terminated, you would not be able to legally find another remote position performing CMS-HCC audits, HEDIS, and others. OUCH!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast