There is no hard and fast number on any CMS documents. The code itself does not specify what modality the training is for. There are some that will tell you that it must be 25, but there is NO basis for that number.
The methodology for billing 90993 is reported by the Medicare contractor, Trailblazer, (and others, but I am quoting them specifically) as "Only for purposes of pro-ration, Medicare will consider 25 training treatments as a complete course of training" (reference: http://www.trailblazerhealth.com/Pub...Nephrology.pdf, page 31) this number is used because the Medicare regulations stipulate that the incomplete training cannot exceed $500, and they have assigned the 90993 at $20 per day.
If you do some real digging, you will see that CMS in different publications and manuals identify that there are different "normal" training periods for each modality, Hemo, CCPD, CAPD etc, but still only one code.
I will be writing to CMS for clarification. If I find that I am wrong, I will let you know.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join