There is NO CPT code for "H&P" ... look it up.
There IS are CPT codes for Initial Hospital Visit .. i.e. the first time the provider sees the patient in the hospital. So if you are coding the Initial Hospital Visit based on the teaching physician's handwritten note, then you are doing that correctly.
HOWEVER .... you CANNOT use any part of the resident's note unless the teaching physician has also signed that note ... or at least referred to the ROS & PFSH from that resident's note in his/her handwritten note.
Hope that helps.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join