If the documentation supports a significant, separately identifiable E/M service in addition to a procedure note for the trigger point injection, then you would assign 99212-25 and 20552. No modifier 59 is appropriate for this scenario. Medicare policy does not allow the E/M if it is the evaluation to determine the need for the injection, as stated in the NCCI Policy Manual.
I hope this helps
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join