After hours care

1. Question After hours care
    Medical Coding Books
    One of our physicians had to come in to the office on a Sunday for a Nursemaids elbow. I billed a 99050 along w/the nursemaid elbow (24640). Insurance is denying claim stating that I need a proper modifier. Does anyone know what modifier you're supposed to use in this case?

Quote Originally Posted by shannon.flaherty View Post
    One of our physicians had to come in to the office on a Sunday for a Nursemaids elbow. I billed a 99050 along w/the nursemaid elbow (24640). Insurance is denying claim stating that I need a proper modifier. Does anyone know what modifier you're supposed to use in this case?
    They have an error in their bundling logic - they're trying to require a 25 modifier on 99050, but it's not appropriate to put the 25 modifier on that code. You should send a written appeal with records detailing your regular business hours, and the reason that the patient had to be seen on an urgent basis. Also advise them that 99050 is not a stand alone code - it must be billed "in addition to [a] basic service", meaning that it doesn't bundle to the basic service (or vice versa), and it would be incorrect coding to bill the services any other way. I'd send a copy of the page in the CPT book with 99050, highlighting the code description. It may still deny as a non-covered service, but at least the denial will be legitimate, and will allow you to bill the patient. Good luck!

Similar Threads

1. After Hours Care
    By ediepierre in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-16-2013, 03:00 PM
  2. after hours
    By Isabel Casaus in forum Pediatrics
    Last Post: 01-25-2012, 05:28 PM
  3. observation < 8 hours
    By srinivas r sajja in forum E/M