Clarification - 99460 - C/S Delivery????

Default Clarification - 99460 - C/S Delivery????
    Exam Training Packages
    I was approached by a person in our billing office inquiring if the doctor should be claiming a 99460 code (newborn, initial hospital) for a baby that had no health problems when born but was delivered via c-section. The c-section was planned because the felt that the baby may have been over 9 lbs and the mom had another week before her due date. Baby is fine

I am under the impression that this could should be used if there were no pressing issues with the mother during delivery that may cause problems for the baby? Am I wrong in that?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by PatriciaM View Post
    I was approached by a person in our billing office inquiring if the doctor should be claiming a 99460 code (newborn, initial hospital) for a baby that had no health problems when born but was delivered via c-section. The c-section was planned because the felt that the baby may have been over 9 lbs and the mom had another week before her due date. Baby is fine

I am under the impression that this could should be used if there were no pressing issues with the mother during delivery that may cause problems for the baby? Am I wrong in that?

Thanks!
    The CPT descriptors for the newborn care codes do not differentiate between CS or Vaginal Delivery, as delivery services are maternal codes.

Code 99460 describes the initial visit by the pediatrician for the care of a normal (no health problems) newborn infant. Remember, after delivery there are two patients; the baby and the mother.

Hope this helps!