AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Well-woman Exams

Default Well-woman Exams

AAPC: Back to School
    I know this has been anksed and answered before but the debate continues in my office.....if a woman presents for her annual exam and the provider performs a breast, pelvic, obtains a pap, and performs an exam on other oragn systems (i.e. eyes, ent, CV, MS, etc), what ICD-9 codes do you use? I have always operated under the impression that if the exam involved more than just the GYN meaning it involved breast, pap, pelvic, eyes, ent, CV, MS and so on, you report V70.0 and an additional code for the pap (V76 range). Is this correct or would you use V72.31?

If a breast exam is done as part of a routine physical, you would report V70.0, but would you also use V76.10 for the breast exam or would this be inclusive of the V70.0?

I have always operated under the impression that V72.31 was only reported when the GYN component (pelvic, pap, breast) was done only.

Can someone please clarify?
    Last edited by dballard2004; 05-06-2011 at 10:58 AM.
    Dawson Ballard, Jr., CPC, CEMC, CPMA, CCS-P, CPC-P
    Compliance Auditor

Any takers, please?
    Dawson Ballard, Jr., CPC, CEMC, CPMA, CCS-P, CPC-P
    Compliance Auditor

Question Physical Exam and Gyn exam

Good question. I have been dealing with the same issue. I read once that "when gynecological and physical exam are completed at the same time, the physical examination does not require a separate diagnosis code, rather only the gynecological examination code is reported"....Do you agree?

Similar Threads

1. Well Woman/Pap Exams
    By MAult142 in forum OB/GYN
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-03-2015, 03:19 PM
  2. Billing Well Woman exams to Medicare Advantage Plans
    By ohiocoder2013 in forum OB/GYN
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-19-2014, 06:20 AM
  3. physical exams and well woman exams
    By jliving77 in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 3