AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Excison of Skin & subcu. tissue and wound peritoneum HELP!

Default Excison of Skin & subcu. tissue and wound peritoneum HELP!

AAPC: Back to School
    I am not good at coding any kind of wound or skin excisions. i need help with this OP report(below) please tell me what you think.....

Pre OP Diagnosis: Right peritoneal wound status post radical debridement of necrotizing fasciitis.

Post OP diagnosis:Pre OP Diagnosis: Right peritoneal wound status post radical debridement of necrotizing fasciitis.

Description of procedure: PT was taken to the operating room and put in supine position.........the patient was preped and draped in low lithotomy position... the area was excised using a 15 scapel and excised through the skin and the subcu tissue and the wound was irregated copiously with saline, kefsol solution and was then closed with interupted 2-0 vicryl inverted stitched and 3-0 nylon horozonal matress sutures and sterile dressing was applied. the patient tolerated the procedure well.

This is the entire OP report does anyone have any idea what i would code for this? is this enough information?

Thanks for any help!!

would i use 13160????

Is there an H&P in the chart about the history of the wound? This is the full description of 13160: The physician secondarily repairs a surgical skin closure after an infectious breakdown of the healing skin. After resolution of the infection, the wound is now ready for closure. The physician uses a scalpel to excise granulation and scar tissue. Skin margins are trimmed to bleeding edges. The wound is sutured in several layers. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by bethh05; 05-09-2011 at 02:35 PM.

13160 is fine with supporting DX, maybe 998.83