Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Code result or reason for a lab?

1. Default
    Medical Coding Books
    Right. So, what about the having the results at the time of coding thing? I was just wondering if it would be justifiable to wait for those bx results to come back in 3 days and hold my charge ticket until then and code the result after they enter it into the EMR?
    OR go ahead and code the reason for the test b/c at the time of my date of service I don't have results yet.

I'm not the best explainer-sorry! But you see what I'm asking? Basically, to code the reason/symptom/sign OR wait for 3 days to code the result?

Amanda, CPC
    Urology coder

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaW View Post
    Right. So, what about the having the results at the time of coding thing? I was just wondering if it would be justifiable to wait for those bx results to come back in 3 days and hold my charge ticket until then and code the result after they enter it into the EMR?
    OR go ahead and code the reason for the test b/c at the time of my date of service I don't have results yet.

I'm not the best explainer-sorry! But you see what I'm asking? Basically, to code the reason/symptom/sign OR wait for 3 days to code the result?
    3 days isn't an unreasonable amount of time to wait, especially if the final result will help with medical necessity, but there's no rule that says you have to wait, or that you have to code the visit immediately, so it's going to be up to your doctor. For the sake of accuracy, I'd probably recommend waiting, when possible - especially if it's an unusual or expensive test that will be difficult to get paid. It'll come down to personal preference, though.

3. Default
    OK! Thanks SO much!

Amanda, CPC
    Urology coder

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12