AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Timeline for completing documentation

Unhappy Timeline for completing documentation

AAPC: Back to School
    Does anyone have the Medicare (we are WPS) documentation or link that states how long a provider has to document for the services they provided?? I would be most appreciative.

Thank you.

I had this same question. What I could find, was that it varies by state what is the allowable time frame for OP Reports ( I work for an ASC). Medicare and CMS basically say "reasonable" amount of time after service. I wish they would just make a definitive time frame, as some providers need that prodding, otherwise you could wait for weeks sometimes. I know where I worked before, we had a state auditor come in and said it was 48 hours, because how could a provider remember every exact detail of every patient that was seen in one day but a week later when they are dictating their report!!! She said in the interum they may have seen over a hundred or so patients and the memory is not that great and it would be easy to mix up patients. Just imagine what the providers had to say about that!--of course they had perfect memory!

Diann DoBran CPC, CPC-H

El Paso

My PCPs document everything before they see the next patient (and they use scribes to help them with the documentation). If there is reason for a "late entry", it must be completed within 24-48 hrs. It's not set in stone anywhere or in writing that I've been able to locate, except the CMS language that Diann referenced. Simply put, this is our office policy.
    Susan M. Garrett, CPC, COC
    Past President El Paso Texas Chapter AAPC
    Past Member AAPCCA Board of Directors
    cell 915-204-8333