AAPC - Back to school
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CPMA Cert Exam Help?

AAPC: Back to School
    I also had some issues with the prep class, but over all thought the material provided was good information.

How I studied, was printed the exam breakdown from the AAPC on what was covered on the test, then made a study guide, pulling all the info from the class material provided based on what the AAPC stated was covered. If I was missing any info I just pulled it from AMA's Medical Record Auditor book, and I found there was no surprises on the test.

I finished the test an hour early & passed my 1st time. Hope this helps.

i took the NAMAS 2 day prep class and did pass the exam but i think it was because of years of experience more than the prep class. i agree, the NAMAS class was just a review of what i already knew from experience.

good luck all!!
    Dawnelle Beall, CPC, CPMA, CPC-I
    Licensed AAPC PMCC Instructor
    AAPC ICD-10CM Certified Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by tinacolassard View Post
    I sat for the exam two weeks ago and did not pass. I also took the prep class through NAMAS and wasn't pleased with the presentation as I wasn't prepared. I studied and have looked through tons of material on the web that AAPC referenced and feel overwhelmed. I'm curious how many people have taken the exam through AAPC (not NAMAS) and have passed. It frustrates me that the people who were credentialed under NAMAS had 4 hours and only 90 questions plus were able to use the notebook NAMAS put together and then took the test through NAMAS.
    HI Tina,
    what part is the most difficult in the exam?

I took the exam the day after I finished the two-day class and passed.
    (It was the AAPC exam - I was not aware there was another format. I asked NAMAS if they were doing an exam session with the class and was told I'd have to schedule it through the AAPC.)

I felt the class was very good information, well presented...but it was mostly review for me...I'd been doing E&M auditing for some time. I would recommend that someone unfamiliar with the material order their book ahead of time and review it before the class.

There was a wide range of experience in the class I took, and it did seem that those who had no auditing or E&M experience were floundering. On the other side of the scale we had one CPMA, with several years experience, who was there for CEUs. She and the instructor had some great stories to share about working in the field. Without that extra - I think it would have been just a straightforward presentation from the book...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12