I think V12.59 is a pretty non specific code. Does this person no longer have hypertension?
Does he/she have elvated BP without a DX of hypertension? You could use 796.2 "elevated BP reading without diagnosis of hypertension. My book says "this category is to be used to record an episode of elevated blood pressure in a patient in whom no formal DX of HTN has been made, or as an incidental finding."
If this patient still has HTN then you need to code it as HTN.
- ICD-10 Training
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join