The E&M is bundled into the procedure. Have you ever accessed the NCCI edits? If not I would highly suggest you become familiar with them as it seems that many of your denials are due to bundling issues.
As with most bundled procedures if the E&M was significant and separately identifiable from the procedure being performed you may add modifier -25 to the E&M visit.
There are many coders that will tell you if the decision to perform the procedure was made at this visit you may append the -25 modifier, but per our Medicare carrier this is incorrect. You have to prove the visit was in fact significant and separate from the procedure.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join