Needing help. Frustrated w/ Coding Edge article for May (2011).

Default Needing help. Frustrated w/ Coding Edge article for May (2011).
    Medical Coding Books
    I have my fingers crossed for help. PLEASE!!

In the lasted article of Coding Edge (May) the article "Use Templates with Caution" has me a little confused.

The article states when to use and not to use a -25 modifier w/ and E/M when 17000 series of CPT are performed.

If the doctors only see's the patient for the AK's or SK's then performs the 17000 series (still pertaining to the original reason for visit) how can a -25 modifier be carved out?

Would this apply to a Podiatry visit (w/ a nail trimming) too?

Guildlines state, "Significant, Separately Identifiable Evaluation and management service by the same physician on the same day of the procedure or other service"

2. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by muffin83 View Post
    I have my fingers crossed for help. PLEASE!!

In the lasted article of Coding Edge (May) the article "Use Templates with Caution" has me a little confused.

The article states when to use and not to use a -25 modifier w/ and E/M when 17000 series of CPT are performed.

If the doctors only see's the patient for the AK's or SK's then performs the 17000 series (still pertaining to the original reason for visit) how can a -25 modifier be carved out?

Would this apply to a Podiatry visit (w/ a nail trimming) too?

Guildlines state, "Significant, Separately Identifiable Evaluation and management service by the same physician on the same day of the procedure or other service"
    Let me just say first that I have yet to read the article. However, if the patient came in only for a scheduled procedure and nothing else outside that procedure was done, say the patient complained of a sore throat and the doctor examined him, then you can use a modifier 25. If not, then there is no E&M to be billed because they did what the appointment was scheduled for. Just my two cents.