AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Clinical Trial Billing - Multiple IND/IDE

Default Clinical Trial Billing - Multiple IND/IDE

AAPC: Back to School
    I am hoping someone can help me with the following question or point me in the right direction for a reference....For clinical research studies that have multiple investigational drugs and/or devices, when submitting claims, which IND/IDE number goes on the claims forms, like the CMS-1500? Would both numbers go on the claim form, or would someone have to determine on a claim-by-claim basis which number went on the form based on the procedures? Thanks!

Charleston, South Carolina

I have seen no guidance on this recently. I believe you should use a separate claim form for each trial, so you can use the IDE number, etc in the correct place for each trial. I think you will be denied if your charges are not what was submitted in your pre-trial approval process. You may want to check with your carriers or CMS also, but it seems you would want to keep each trial separate and more in line with the particulars of eacah trial. Hope this makes sense.
    Machelle Morningstar, CPC, COC, CEMC, COSC
    AHIMA Approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainer

Default Thanks!

Similar Threads

1. Clinical trial medicare
    By LORA CRAWFORD in forum Hematology/Oncology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-25-2014, 09:28 AM
  2. anying billing for clinical trial services?
    By trarut in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Last Post: 03-24-2014, 10:24 AM
  3. anyone billing clinical trial services???
    By trarut in forum Compliance General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-24-2014, 10:21 AM
  4. Clinical Trial Modifiers
    By mmorningstarcpc in forum Anesthesia
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2009, 08:02 PM
  5. Clinical Trial Coding
    By mmorningstarcpc in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Last Post: 11-03-2008, 01:12 PM