Per Medicare Learning Network (MLN) MM6740:
In the inpatient hospital setting and nursing facility setting, any physicians and
qualified NPPs who perform an initial evaluation may bill an initial hospital care
visit code (CPT code 99221 – 99223) or nursing facility care visit code (CPT
99304 – 99306), where appropriate.
Highmark Medicare Services mentioned during an Inpatient E/M teleconference that if physicians other than the admitting physician do not meet the 3 out of 3 components of an initial visit, a subsequent visit can be coded with supporting documentation. This Medicare decision may have caused some confusion.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join