G0179 or G0180 - OUR Initial Cert, Not Patient's

Default G0179 or G0180 - OUR Initial Cert, Not Patient's
    Exam Training Packages
    Which code should I use? The patient is new to our practice, hence it is our first/initial certification, but the patient has been certified before so it is a recertification for the patient.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Sue

Default Recertification
    I'm going to say recertification. The rules for HH cert. would trump the new patient rule, I think.

Thanks, jbrashear. That is what I'm thinking, but there is a contradictory opinion here and I always like to get a second opinion!

4. Default
    I would bill a recert, also. As I understand it, there are additional guidelines this year. Specifically, the doctor must have had a face to face visit with the patient within 90 days to the certification.

Default Recert
    Quote Originally Posted by JanSchell911 View Post
    I would bill a recert, also. As I understand it, there are additional guidelines this year. Specifically, the doctor must have had a face to face visit with the patient within 90 days to the certification.
    That's exactly right. The rules for documentation got a little more strict this year. And if you think about it, we are trying to apply E/M rules to a non E/M service, which I think strengthens the argument for a recert. The only other detail I would even want to point out is that if a patient has gone 90 days+ without having a recert done, then can't you bill an initial certification even if it is for the same dx? I haven't been able to find my info on it for some reason.

Let me know what you think.

Janice Brashear, CPC

The doc sees the patients at least once every 90 days. Usually more than that.

As for a new 'initial' cert, good question. Instinctively I'd say lack of a recert doesn't justify a new initial cert, but unfortunately you can't go on instinct today. I'm not sure how they are doing it, but it is certainly something to look into.