If you are performing the procedure (treatment of dislocation) but will be transfering "post-op" care to the ortho specialist, you should use a -54 modifier on YOUR procedure code. The orthopeaedist would use the same procedure code with a -55 modifier to signify the postoperative care.
Don't let the work "operative" scare you. Any CPT code from 10000 through 69999 is considered a procedure / operation.
Hope that helps.
F Tessa Bartels CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join