routine venipuncture

Default routine venipuncture
    Exam Training Packages
    I would like some feedback.

One of our internal docs has asked if he can bill for routine venipuncture 36415 when it is performed by the phlebotomist at the clinic he works for?

I told him no, but we are wondering if he should be billing this as incident to? Is this billable to him or should the person performing the venipuncture be the one that is billing for this?
    thanks for any help you can give.

2. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by renee868 View Post
    I would like some feedback.

One of our internal docs has asked if he can bill for routine venipuncture 36415 when it is performed by the phlebotomist at the clinic he works for?

I told him no, but we are wondering if he should be billing this as incident to? Is this billable to him or should the person performing the venipuncture be the one that is billing for this?
    thanks for any help you can give.
    In every situation I have seen, a phlebotomist that works in a doctors office actually works for the lab, not the doctor. If this is the case, then the lab bills for the venipuncture as that is who the phlebotomist works for. Just my two cents.

3. Default
    Thats right - if they work for the lab, then they bill, if they work for the doc, the he bills.

Similar Threads

1. Medicaid and routine venipuncture
    By bethb in forum Family Practice
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-21-2015, 08:21 AM
  2. Routine exam vs. non-routine
    By rtate in forum Ophthalmology/Optometry
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-04-2013, 07:08 AM
  3. Routine OB no longer routine
    By dmetz in forum OB/GYN
    Replies: 1