Patient Education

Default Patient Education
    Medical Coding Books
    Could someone please tell me how to code for an ARNP who is doing patient education for chemotherapy. The ARNP is spending anywhere between 30 to 45 minutes with each patient. Also what should her documentation look like? There is a huge discuss on what is right or wrong. Thanks as always for your help.

Is this individual or group patient education? If it is group, you may want to look at 99078. If it is individual patient education, I would think you would be able to use E/M codes. You would probably be selecting your code level based on time. Therefore, the provider would need to document (1) the total time spent with the patient, (2) that greater than 50% of the time was spent in counseling / coordination of care, and (3) the topics discussed (i.e., risks and benefits of chemo, frequency of treaments, expected prognosis, etc).

Hope this helps!
    Chandra L. Stephenson, CPC, CIC, COC, CPB, CPCO, CPMA, CPPM, CRC, CCS, CPC-I, CANPC, CCC, CEMC, CGSC, CFPC, CIMC, COSC
    2012-2013, 2016 President, AAPC Indianapolis Indiana Chapter
    2013-2015 AAPC National Advisory Board Member
    chandra.stephenson@gmail.com

Wink
    I am not sure you can charge for chemotherapy education. I know there is discussions going on amoung the oncology association on developing a CPT code for chemotherapy education/counseling. It is unclear. Debbie, RMA, CMC, CHONC

Default Group Patient Education
    Our physicians plan on providing health education to patients in a group setting. Topics range from diabetes education to COPD, obesity, etc. Can someone provide on any suggestions or clarification on the correct CPT code. We have been pointed in the direction of 99078.

Thank you

Debbie