99358 is a code for prolonged non face to face. Reviewing old records and studies is generally considered part of the E&M. 99358 is a stand alone service now, it use to be an add on code. Also it is timed and documentation must support a minimum of 30 minutes spent in the record review or study review. It can be cumulative, that is 15 minutes reviewing an old record and 15 minutes reviewing all of the studies for a total of 30 minutes.
So it sounds like the payer is wanting to be assured that extraordinary review was done and was necessary.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join