AAPC - Back to school
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Version 5010 & Paper Claims

AAPC: Back to School
    What is everyone doing for their address on a paper claim. We use a lockbox, with the change to 5010 I have assigned that as our PAY TO for electronic claims.

However, on those occasions that I must submit a paper claim I am still submitting our PO Box in BOX 33. I'm wondering if everyone else is doing this, from what I can tell 5010 doesn't apply to paper at all so I think I'm OK to do this.

Tacoma, WA

Quote Originally Posted by QodingQueen View Post
    This is a follow-up to a previous thread I submitted concerning the effects of Version 5010 on providers that submit paper claims.

I attended the 16th Educational National Call and submitted the following question to 5010FFSInfo@cms.hhs.gov following the Call.

" I work for a provider that does NOT submit claims electronically and does not plan to convert to EDI in any form as he plans to retire within 4 years.

1. How does Version 5010 compliance affect providers who do NOT submit claims electronically?
    2. If the provider is still able to submit paper claims, then will there be any new forms required; i.e., HCFA 1500? And how do I obtain such forms?

Thank you for your response."

This is the answer that I recieved:

" HIPPA 5010 only impacts electronic claim submissions. Paper transactions are not affected. At this time we are not aware of a new HCFA 1500 or UB form under development.

Please note, an additional question and answer National Call will be conducted on Wednesday June 25th from 1:00 to 2:30 E.T. Thank you."
    Here is a link to a resource document on the AMA website. The 5010 updates only apply to electronic transactions, providers who do not bill electronically are not affected:

Quotes from the sections titled Terminology:

"1500 Claim Form: The paper claim form for reporting professional services to a payer. HIPAA does not address reporting requirements on the paper claim form nor does it require physicians who conduct all business on paper to comply with HIPAA."

"Administrative Simplification Compliance Act (ASCA): A law related to HIPAA. While
    HIPAA does not require physicians to conduct business electronically, if physicians bill
    Medicare, ASCA requires them to do so electronically and they must do so according to the
    HIPAA electronic standards. Practices with fewer than 10 full-time employees are exempt from ASCA."
    Arlene J. Smith, CPC, CEMC, COBGC
    AAPC Tacoma WA Chapter

President 2015
    Past-President 2013 and 2011
    President-Elect 2010
    Member Relations 2008
    AAPC NAB 2007-2009

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12