AAPC - Back to school
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "sometimes" i feel like my cpc is a joke.

AAPC: Back to School
    Unfortunately, I am finding because I do have 20 years experience some physicians/management don't want to pay for our experience and are going for people who have little experience.
    I recently moved and have had no luck so far. I think it is sometimes just the area, who knows.

York, Pa

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Brooks View Post
    I agree with this, and want to encourage those of you who have done well in school, passed your CPC and continue to look for work. But vwhitby is right. Small, rural hospitals and small private practices typically don't hire a huge staff of coders/billers, and some practices simply have "a girl in the back" posting charges off a fee ticket. (these very words came from a physician in a state that will remain nameless). And the opportunities in larger metropolitan areas sometimes remain open for a long period of time because the market isn't quite as saturated.

I guess you have to ask yourself, "what am I willing to do to enter this field?" Are you willing to relocate? Are you willing to start out in a job that pays less than you had hoped? One of my best coders started out in dietary, serving meals to patients. She wasn't too self-important to accept such a job, and it paid off for her, because she was privy to the internal job postings. In this economy, you may have to re-locate or commute. We all would like a job that's 15 minutes from our homes, but that's not always possible, and everyone should be thinking 'long term'.

Don't just think about coding jobs. There are other places in a hospital or healthcare facility where you can start out, and work your way up. (remember, coding is not an entry-level job, as you all have learned). Patient registration, scheduling, billing (including payment posting and customer service), medical records, front-desk representative, administrative assistant, mail room clerk, file clerk, and even dietary, housekeeping or maintenance positions can place you inside a facility, where many jobs are posted internally and not released to the outside public. That's a well known fact....most facilities hire from within. The idea is to get in...however you can.

I would urge you to consider volunteering. Most hospitals use volunteers....to deliver flowers to patients, to assist visitors, etc., but sometimes you can volunteer within clinical departments. Those volunteers are considered "employees" in our facility, and have access to job postings just as a regular employee would. Plus, you get to know people and the politics....very valuable information to have.

I have posted on this topic before, but I interview quite a bit, and have found that some people are just unprepared for a job interview in a healthcare facility. Some big boo-boos are:
    too much cologne
    attire that violates the dress code
    smokers (we can smell you), and although we legally can't exclude you because you smoke.....we probably will.
    You don't ask questions
    Haven't researched the company
    are too timid (not a good thing...the docs will eat you alive)
    Swear (no kidding).
    Don't know where you want to be in five years. This means that you don't understand the industry enough to figure out where you will fit in.

I realize that this information isn't going to pay the bills, but if you're really committed to a career in the coding field, please keep positive, and learn to sell yourself...great grades and a CPC are good, but lots of people have accomplished that. Figure out what makes you an ideal candidate, and emphasize your strengths. Good luck, everyone.

Very, very,very good advice

I hope these newly certified coders and those who are still looking for that job have read what you've said here. You give great advice!
    Roxanne Thames CPC, CPC-I, CEMC

"Remember the greatest gift is not found in the store but in the heart of true friends"

Los Alamitos CA

Quote Originally Posted by aimie View Post
    I having difficulty finding a job so I am preparing for the CCS exam. The membership was a little more but they do payment plan. The exam is cheaper though. So I can understand your feelings
    I have both CPC and CCS credentials. I started out as a biller making peanuts, did it for a year than passed my CPC got promoted to the coding dept still making peanuts, the annual reveiw came and got a .3 cents raise I thought that was a joke. I'd then decided to send my resume out to agency cause i was told they pay alot more, to my surprise it triple what i was making.

The agency wanted only CCS but gave me a chance, i passed their test. Then i decide to take my CCS which i passed too, but it wasnt the CCS that got me where i am today, I am still trying to get my foot into inpatient.. Im sure CCS looks good on my resume but i was hired with my CPC.

I've applied for 3 remote jobs, just to get the hang of interviewing and to my surprise i got all 3. I posted my resume on Monster and Careerbuilder and applied there, good luck everyone...

I am also so sorry that you many of you have found the CPC to be a joke. I only find it to be a joke when trying to get the "A" removed. I have been coding for a while and for some reason the "A" is still on the CPC. However my best advice to you all is if you dont have the coding experience is to volunteer at your nearest medical facility and to network....Nonetheless hang in there

Johnson City TN

I've been looking for2-3 years with no success. I have a CMA (Medical Assistant) degree to back it up with.

The economy being sour and all it may take some time. Have you thought about doing an Externship through AAPC? It would give you the needed experience and may lead to a good job.

Will pray for you!!

Beth Williams, CMA CPC-A

Default Climbing the Ladder

I started out as a front desk receptionist and started working my way through school.
    My first actual coding job was a 1 hour and 30 minute drive (one way). The pay was also less than I had made at my previous job.
    I was pregnant with my first child and would wake up at 4am every morning to be at work by 6am. Gas and toll roads ate up the majority of my pay check as well.

Looking back I would say it was worth it though. I have worked from home for years and now have a company of my own.

Getting your foot in the door is everything. Once you gain some experience the doors of your career will come wide open.

Hang in there and be willing to do what you have to.

Good Luck!

I agree, i feel like im being blocked at every corner with the same ole saying, "you need at least 3-5 yrs experience". Well how am i going to get the experience if no one gives you a chance. Im usually the one encouraging others to hang in there and things willl get better, but right now i feel like i wasted thiusands of dollars for nothing. I cant even get a coding job to pay the student loan back, much less pay to attend workshops,seminars, and the yearly cost of staying certified...hate to feel as though i regret doing this....

its just the first job that is hard to get. You basically have to prove yourself. after my first job it has taken me a week or less to find another job in the field. You just have to prove what you can do and what you know.

St. Louis, MO

Wink CPC and finding a job

I am sorry you are having trouble getting a job. It is not easy when you first start out. The good news is that your CPC does carry a lot of weight. You might want to consider educating the employers during your interview. Drop statements like, "I am very active with my local AAPC chapter." or "As a CPC I have access to networking tools that allow me to stay on top of the trends and changes in coding." Look into ways to market yourself. Connect with other coders in your area. Our local chapter is great in that regard. We make sure that everyone knows about positions open or future ones coming up.

Work at selling yourself,
    Alicia, CPC

Default new to the field

I just completed an online medical coding class. I have no experience whatsoever in medical coding. I've worked in the mortgage industry for the past 10 years.

Now that I started looking at the field your ideas about simply gettin a job in a healthcare facility is one I am aiming for. I realize it wont be anywhere near coding but like you said I gain access to the internal postings and meet people.

My biggest concern is i'm 35 and from what I have read it's taken some 4 - 5 years to land a coding position from within a company. I worry that my age will play a factor in finding a coding job.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast