AAPC - Back to school
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: "sometimes" i feel like my cpc is a joke.

Dover Seacoast New Hampshire

AAPC: Back to School
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBob75 View Post
    My biggest concern is i'm 35 and from what I have read it's taken some 4 - 5 years to land a coding position from within a company. I worry that my age will play a factor in finding a coding job.

Well, Bob, here's the good news. Most healthcare facilities are pretty conservative...meaning there are probably more opportunities for 'mature' employees than there are for the twenty-somethings. Life and job experience is much more valuable than being able to pay rock-bottom salaries. Because your experience is in finance, I'd say you have a definite edge when it comes to work in the billing/coding area. Good luck to you!
    Pam Brooks, MHA, CPC, PCS, COC
    Coding Manager
    Wentworth-Douglass Hospital
    Dover, NH 03820

If you can dream it, you can do it. Walt Disney

What's this?! Another pity party?! Could this be telling me I've wasted my time trying to earn qualification, once again?!

Quote Originally Posted by kit4wit View Post
    Speaking to you all, I have been coding without credentials in my medical billing jobs for the past 39 years. When my last physician boss retired, I was out of work and could find no other, with loads of experience, but WITHOUT A CPC. Having gone to school to get a CPC and still interviewing all the time, I can't tell you how many prospective employers drooled over my experience but said to come and talk to them once I had that CPC in my hot little hands. Keep your chins up. No one is getting hired without one, I can attest to that! KS

Los Alamitos CA

Quote Originally Posted by MrBob75 View Post
    I just completed an online medical coding class. I have no experience whatsoever in medical coding. I've worked in the mortgage industry for the past 10 years.

Now that I started looking at the field your ideas about simply gettin a job in a healthcare facility is one I am aiming for. I realize it wont be anywhere near coding but like you said I gain access to the internal postings and meet people.

My biggest concern is i'm 35 and from what I have read it's taken some 4 - 5 years to land a coding position from within a company. I worry that my age will play a factor in finding a coding job.

I was around the same age as you when i got certified, it wasnt easy making pennies is not the kind of money i was used to, you just have to look at it as if they are paying you to learn.

it didnt take me long to get into a coding position, maybe about a 1yr.. Then I took that experience and moved on. Good luck there is alot of work out there for us coders.

Sarasota FL

Default CPC a joke/age

I was 54 when I landed my first coding job and yes, I think my life 'experience' was helpful rather than a hinderance. Most of my work colleagues in our department are older than me anyway and i am a lone male in what is definitely a female-dominated profession. I did an online coding course which was fairly useless really so I basically 'self taught' although i didn't find it particularly difficult as I have been in the medical field for many years in a completely different role in a different country. Terminology,anatomy etc are the same wherever you are.
    Anyway, don't look at your age or past work experience as an obstacle to becoming a coder if that is what you want. A lot of people enter the profession later in life than age 35.
    Good luck.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234