AAPC - Back to school
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "sometimes" i feel like my cpc is a joke.

Default "sometimes" i feel like my cpc is a joke.

AAPC: Back to School
    been looking for work 4.5 years.

Culver City

Tell me about it, I have had about 15 phone interviews and they always ask for many years of experience (did they not see my resume). One interview for a Vascular Surgery group told me that they were looking for someone with 20 years of experience? Really? I am 25 years old, go figure!!! I took the same test as any other person who has a CPC and can't find a company that is willing to hire me. So now I am looking to get credentials with AHIMA as a CCS, but kind of hesitant because $$$ is an issue. Good luck and don't give up.

Brian Huguez, CPC

Spring Hill

Default sometimes I agree

I having difficulty finding a job so I am preparing for the CCS exam. The membership was a little more but they do payment plan. The exam is cheaper though. So I can understand your feelings

Are the jobs to which you're applying prefer the CCS or # years experience? Just because you have the CCS they're still going to want the # years experience. Just a thought....

Smile biller and coder

I'm so sorry that so many of you are having problems finding jobs even though you have your CPC. Yes, experience is a big factor in the medical billing coding field. Doctors just dont' turn their billing over to anyone. I'm sure your all qualified, but just taking a class and then taking the test is not enough. This has just been in the last few years this has started and speaking as someone who has done this for awhile it's not fair, not fair at all. Hang in there, it will happen and you will have a great job, one you love.
    Last edited by daveh; 06-07-2011 at 07:53 AM. Reason: name change

Culver City

Quote Originally Posted by mkm1517 View Post
    Are the jobs to which you're applying prefer the CCS or # years experience? Just because you have the CCS they're still going to want the # years experience. Just a thought....
    Alot of employers I have spoken to, do refer the CCS over the CPC.

It may also be where you are looking. I have both my CPC and CCS-P and have worked with CCSs and in my experience CPC leans toward physician coding/billing vs. facility (hospital/CCS) coding. In some places I have worked, the credential desired depended upon the position, and the team included both.
    Annette, CCS-P, CPC, CPMA, CCC

Default The big Lie

Why did I put so much effort and money to become certified with an above average score on my first try in a field I was duped into hearing how it is growing and had many opportunities. I made this commitment during a highly stressful time in my life hoping for a new lot in life and instead was set back. So much for furthering your education for a brighter future.

Default The Joke's on US

The system is making tons of money off of so many of us who spend our hard earned money to buy books, enter expensive classes, Ceu's, etc. etc. etc. while those who are comfortably in the system laugh all the way to the bank. It's a lot like our goverment

Naples Florida

Ready your post, as someone in the field for many years I do understand that it is hard to get employed when you just start out. This is with ANY TRADE. Not just the Medical Field. It is unfortunate that you feel that it is the industry. I have spoken to many coders who have both credentials (CCS and CPC) and did this not because one was more recognized but to gain knowledge as well as hospitals are more familiar with AHIMA as they are the leader(in my opinion) in Hospital records but AAPC is billing focused.

I think that the economy has alot to do with it as well not the orgainzations. There are many unemployed people in the US out there then the past. Everyone is struggling for the job many over qualified people are taking the entry level positions because they need to work. I have never heard of a employer asking for 20 years experience. Yes 2-5 but never 20.

Good luck on your search. Keep positive!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast