Since Medicare no longer recognizes the consultation codes we are instructed to code services which previously were consults as follows:
First visit by the provider for each hospitalization is coded using Initial Hospital Visit codes 99221-99223
OUTpatient (includes ER, Observation, Clinic, Office)
In the ER you can use the ER codes.
For all other outpatient areas the "consulting" physcian will use
1) NEW patient (hasn't been seen in more than 3 years) - new patient codes 99201-99205
2) ESTABLISHED patient (HAS been seen within last 3 years) - established patient codes 99211-99215
Hope that helps.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join