Missy - Since you state that these two procedures were performed on two separate days, for the 1st day - I would code procedure as 01967 because the epidural was placed for the purpose of induction and the labor phase. Code diagnoses using both the fetal demise (632 if before 22 weeks; 656.41 if after 22 weeks) and pregnancy state (V22.2--this will support the fact that she did not deliver and was still pregnant after the failed delivery). NOTE: if the anesthesiologist documented any additional diagnoses (ie: HTN, DM, heart condition, etc.), these may be coded in addition to the two codes. For the 2nd day, I would code as 01965 for the D&E and use dx code for the fetal demise (632 if before 22 weeks; 656.41 if after 22 weeks).
Hope this helps! LaSeille Willard, CPC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join