AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Using V54.89 with other codes

Default Using V54.89 with other codes

AAPC: Back to School
    I was wondering if it is ok to use the V54.89 with another code. EX: patient had hip dysplasia which has resolved. Do you code the hip dysplasia as well as the V54.89?
    I am new to orthopedic coding so I am unsure of all the rules of using the V54.89. Thanks.

Columbia, MO

You do not code conditions that have resolved, been surgically corrected, or are healing such as fractures. You may code aftercare, followup or healing status, Or you may have complications or residuals such as stiffness.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Default V54.89 question

Oh, I know not to code an illness/disorder after it is resolved. I was wondering if I can go ahead and just code the V54.89 for the follow-up visit and this is all they are coming in for or do I code it with the V67.59? So, far I have not had any denials for using just the V54.89, but since I am new to orthopedic coding I want to understand all the ins and outs of this specialty coding.

Thanks for the response.

Similar Threads

1. V54.89 vs V58.78
    By meo59101 in forum Diagnosis Coding
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-20-2014, 11:22 PM
  2. Difference between V54.81 and V54.82
    By rjenn86 in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-26-2014, 12:44 PM
  3. V54.89
    By kc-george in forum Orthopaedics