AAPC - Back to school

Thread: limited stenting with 37226??

Greenville NC

Question limited stenting with 37226??

AAPC: Back to School
    I have an unusual intervention report that I need some guidance with. My doc performed 37226 (SFA) and used 4 overlapping stents :

" We then deployed four overlapping stents starting from distal, a Smart 6.0 into 100mm stent, a Smart 6.0 into 100mm stent and the third stent was 6.0 into 100mm LIFESTENT. At the proximal end of the third stent there was still residual stenosis. We then deployed a 6.0 into 40mm Smart stent overlapping the third stent..."

The CPT book states when more than one stent is placed in the same vessel the code should only be reported once. I can not find anywhere that states how many stents may be placed before I am able to use mod -22.

Can anyone help?!

Brandy Edmondson, CPC

New Delhi, India

No, you may not append mod 22 just because n number of stents were placed. Its use depends on the level of difficulty in doing one procedure and the unusual time in performing that. If the provider gives those details only then we should go ahead with mod 22. Also, only one code per vessel.

Girish Dadhich, CPC

Greenville NC

Thumbs up

Thank you so much!

Similar Threads

1. Stenting of rca
    By jenski37 in forum Cardiology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-25-2015, 12:14 PM
  2. ERCP Stenting
    By magmae in forum Gastroenterology
    Replies: 0